Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

New toys
« on: 30/01/2016 at 20:15 »
After a winter of building for other people, i bought myself some new toys :z12

Too expensive for me to market commercially, but should be fun to  build and fish with, nice to see the big guns catching onto the bonny colours. Good comparison R&D for other products :z3

I have found a good source for their blanks though, so if anyone was thinking of investing in a new one, drop me a line a first, to save a hefty wodge of cash. Equally if you fancy a play, then we have to meet up when fishing :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: New toys
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2016 at 20:33 »
Looking forward to having a cast with those Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2016 at 20:51 »
OOh you are awful Sandy,   :X2 :X2 easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2016 at 08:28 »
They appear to be very green indeed, look forward to seeing the completed rods :z16
H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 01/02/2016 at 08:14 »
Have you seen the Sage Pike...Tree Frog Green with red anodized fittings!!

Looks like an explosion in a paint factory, but strangely works!!

If you could price one of the Pike blanks I would be grateful ;)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2016 at 14:25 »
First one is finished and has been out for a play :z3

Just exactly my cup of tea :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2016 at 14:42 »
lovely, but you forgot the whippings ;)

I was thinking of trying invisi-whips on a couple of carp rods I am about to finish for myself...could be interesting.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2016 at 15:55 »
lovely, but you forgot the whippings ;)

I was thinking of trying invisi-whips on a couple of carp rods I am about to finish for myself...could be interesting.

Not invisible wraps Rob, if you look its jade green silk tipped with a medium green, you can see the wrap colour against the blank, but the black rings make it look like its invisible :z5 sneaky......... from below, ghost wraps, from above, a normal rod! seems to work well with the metallic green blank. You can notice it best on the cork check whipping :z16 its actually difficult to catch the effect with a photo.

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #8 on: 17/02/2016 at 19:08 »
Looks awesome Sandy, nice job as always!!  :z16

:z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 18/02/2016 at 05:18 »
Looking good Sandy  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2016 at 08:24 »
Question...how do you do the tipping wraps? Is it the old place a tube on the blank, wrap over 3-5 times, pass the ends through the tunnel the tube makes, remove the tube and pull tight? Basically a nail knot?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 18/02/2016 at 13:27 »
 :z6 sounds awkward

I whip the rings like normal and then go back and add the tippings.
I do the whip just like i do a normal one, except i leave a long starting tag sticking, do 2 turns over the tag, put the loop in and do 2 1/2 turns over the loop and tag and then through the loop and pull it through , then i pull the two tag ends until they meet and is nice and tight against the main whipping, then slice both ends. this gives a 4 turn tipping
This is for a tip section, for a mid section i do 3 and 2 1/2 ( 5 turn tipping)and for a lower section i do 3 and 3 1/2 (6 turn tipping), for a butt section i do 3 and 4 1/2 (7 turn tipping)
 That seems to keep the band looking in proportion with the diameter of the blank.

Hope that makes sense :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 18/02/2016 at 14:19 »
Hope that makes sense :z16

It does...and that's the way I would normally do it, sort of. lol.

The method I described badly is this one I just found on youtube. Does not work too well with metallic thread, but works perfectly for thread.

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #13 on: 16/04/2016 at 11:49 »
Hi Sandy

How are you liking these Mod rods? The 9ft 3weight sounds quite appealing!! :X2

Cheers
Grant

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 16/04/2016 at 12:17 »
I 'm loving the MOD, all 3 are super smooth, crisp, very light and really nice, the 3wt is probably the sweetest of the 3 but something I would only use occasionally  for small flies and light tippets, for that, it will be a fantastic fishing tool. The 4wt is a beautiful dryfly rod but is very similar to the 5wt  , maybe a touch smoother but so similar its hard to justify keeping both, the 5wt has a bit more umph which is handy when the wind blows and a bit more backbone for some of the trophies, so the sacrifice in smoothness is probably worth it for me. Overall there is very little in it between them, but I would say as fishing rods go they are the best I have tried so far.
 :z18

Very expensive from Sage though, there are plenty good rods available that are worth the money, I don't think these would be worth the premium if you paid full retail. If you build one from a blank it works out a lot better value for money and then it would be something I would fully recommend :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com