Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mark1988

new fly rod
« on: 28/01/2016 at 09:09 »
Hello all

I am looking to buy a new fly rod. I currently use a shakespeare agility 9'6" 7wt rod. Im thinking of either a greys gr50 or a orvis clearwater as the clearwater is on offer at my local tackle shop.

Any opinion on either rod is grateful or open to new suggestions around £150 max

Thanks in advance

Mike Barrio

Re: new fly rod
« Reply #1 on: 28/01/2016 at 11:12 »
Hi Mark,

Are you looking to replace your 7wt with a new 7wt ( if so, what don't you like about your current rod, or how do you hope to improve it? ) or are you looking to replace it with a different weight rod?

What type of fishing are you mostly using your rod for?

Best wishes
Mike

mark1988

« Reply #2 on: 28/01/2016 at 15:16 »
Thanks for your reply. I mainly fish buzzers and nymphs. Im looking to replace it with a new 7wt. I have a 4weight as well and if i get a rod i like i will be purchasing another one only in a 5 weight for dries in the better weather. I fish mainly small still waters.

I have just took a notion  i want to upgrade my rod to either an orvis clearwater or a greys gr50

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 28/01/2016 at 15:27 »
"I have just took a notion" ......... Commendable, the need for new toys! :z4

Personally, of the two brands, I would always choose an Orvis. But perhaps other forum members will offer you different advice based on the rods you mentioned.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2016 at 09:30 »
I had a shot of an Orvis Clearwater 9' 6" 6 weight on a loch back in October(ish).

I loved it. For still water buzzer fishing on stocked waters it really was spot on. Easy casting, nice and balanced, and plenty of power to deal with good fish. Have to say though, I am a bit biased towards Orvis having got 7 orvis rods :)

Orvis warranty is second to none, if something unfortunate happens...and the service is fantastic.

If you are anywhere near the Banchory, pop into the Orvis shop. You might get a chance to go across to the football fields and try a few out.

mark1988

« Reply #5 on: 29/01/2016 at 17:17 »
Im glad you understand the need for new things mike, im terrible for it haha. Give it another couple weeks and il be looking something else.

Thanks Rob, i seen you replied and started to worry it was going to be negative on the orvis as i went out and purchased one this morning. Compared to the greys it felt better in my hand and i personally think it was finished that slight bit better, although the greys is still a lovely rod. Might purchase a 5wt in it for dry flies. Unfortuantly im from northern ireland so we dont have orvis shops near by, just shops which stock them. After hearing about orvis services if ever needed it also helped sway me towards that rod. Now to just get out and try it out.

Thanks mike and rob

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/01/2016 at 17:27 »
Enjoy :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2016 at 08:20 »
Thanks Rob, i seen you replied and started to worry it was going to be negative on the orvis

Enjoy the rod, I am sure you will.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com