Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Koster

Feeling nostalgic and having read about fishing with cane rods, I bought myself this rod and later the reel.

I'm unable to find any information on either of them... surprise surprise.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to what wt the rod could be? And furthermore, if they know anything about the reel that could make it unsuitable for use with this rod??

I have an ambition to land a fish with this set-up, very likely at a fishery as even though it is in good condition and feels solid, I'm apprehensive about taking it down to the Don. Maybe the question is - should I fish with it at all?!

Thanks,
Ron

Marc Fauvet

Re: Alex Martin 11ft 3-piece cane rod & D.A.M 120 reel..
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2016 at 18:21 »
Ron, is there anything written on the blank just above the grip ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2016 at 18:33 »
They're two bits of kit from very different eras and make an unusual combination, but there's no reason why you shouldn't fish with either (beyond worries about the rod going bang and the drag on the reel being bug*ered) or indeed both together. Is there a line rating on the rod :?

D.A.M stuff is German as I recall, I reckon that reel dates from the 80's (maybe late '70s) so may even be West Germany - a simple but effective mass-produced reel.

Alex Martin was a gun manufacturer and tackle producer based in Glasgow. They made (or had made for them) some quality gear and they were considered to be on a par with the likes of Hardy which wouldn't be that surprising as their out-sourcing included rods made by Sharpes of Aberdeen and Walkers of Bampton. I'd not like to try and date the rod without actually seeing it in the flesh, but safe to say it's not in its first flush of youth. I'd guess 1930's to 1940's, but possibly earlier. Any pics of the logos :?

H :cool:

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 26/01/2016 at 19:13 »
Now Hamish, it's Walker Bampton of Alnwick, they had a place  on the left just past the Gated arch, still there in the early 60's
some people reckoned they made better rods than Hardys,certainly they are just as collectable,I have a couple of pages from a 1950's Martin catalogue and the 3pc 11ft cane called the Caledonia, retailed for 62/6d but it says nothing else about it, just use it it's better than sticking it on a wall, :z18 easgach1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2016 at 19:23 »
Now Hamish, it's Walker Bampton of Alnwick, they had a place  on the left just past the Gated arch, still there in the early 60's

Ooopsie.... quite correct, I blame senility as a defence or the fact I also had Walkers of Trowell on my mind at the time...... I had to buy a replacement rod from them once  :z6
A split cane rod that went boom and was a Martin rod but that is, as they say, another story  :wink

:cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/01/2016 at 08:55 »
DAM were still making that reel as recently as the 80's. I well remember seeing them for sale.

Should you fish with it? Hmmmmm. In another post you say you are new to fly fishing...and trying to cast 11 foot of cane is going to be an experience ;)

I still regularly fish cane, but for carp, but one thing I have learnt is that cane dries out over a period of time. That drying out makes the rods prone to cracking and breaking.

I personally would probably use it, but carefully! At 11 foot its probably going to have been made for sea trout so will be about a 7 or 8 weight and made for a river.

As for Alex Martin...an advert I saw online says "Alex Martin, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen"...so it could be a "local" rod....which leads me back to it being a sea trout rod. They also did reels, notably The Thistle and The Caledonia.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #6 on: 27/01/2016 at 16:46 »
 From the look of the whippings it is likely to be one of Alex Martins steel centered models.  The rings look to be from an era before bridge rings were introduced, and were probably only designed  to accommodate silk lines.  You could struggle to shoot a thicker floating line through them.  The ferrules , if they have never been replaced, may be of the locking joint type.

Koster

« Reply #7 on: 27/01/2016 at 19:41 »
Ron, is there anything written on the blank just above the grip ?

Nope, but on the blank below the grip it reads "Alex Martin Glasgow Edinburgh & Aberdeen"

Is there a line rating on the rod :?

Any pics of the logos :?

No there's no rating indicated anywhere on it.

I've attached a picture of the logo that is on the heavy cloth case.. sorry for the small size.

DAM were still making that reel as recently as the 80's. I well remember seeing them for sale.

Should you fish with it? Hmmmmm. In another post you say you are new to fly fishing...and trying to cast 11 foot of cane is going to be an experience ;)

Thanks for the insight Rob! I'm not going to give it a try for a while, after I master a 9ft.. The reel is a quickly 120 - can't find any information on it but I have a hunch that you're right.

The ferrules , if they have never been replaced, may be of the locking joint type.

Again, thanks for the insight redfish. Yes, they're the locking joint type and I'm glad to say that the thread is still going strong.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 28/01/2016 at 22:21 »
Hi Ron

I agree with Easgach 1 that it is the "Caledonia"

The 1939 Alex Martin Catalogue has a colour plate of the rod and i would say it looks very similar.There is no line rating but the actual weight of the rod is given as approx. 12oz.
I have an almost identical looking rod but with  Aspindale's of Redditch as the maker.I wonder if both rods were made by the same manufacturer e.g Allcocks of Redditch?

I would certainly give your outfit a go on the Don but i think a 1930's Alex Martin Thistle reel would complete the picture!

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com