Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Koster

Introduction / First Post
« on: 26/01/2016 at 16:58 »
Hello,

Thanks for accepting my request to join the forum. I've often browsed through its pages and finally got round to becoming part of the community.

I live close to the lower stretches of the Don and,  with my ADAA permit that I am going to obtain shortly, I aim to explore (and fish!) as much of the Don as I can.

Primarily fishing along the coast and occasionally with bait at Lochter, I would class myself as an ambitious novice when it comes to fly fishing. That being said, I have slowly assembled a basic fly fishing set up (9ft, 5wt) which - if I had asked around before - I'd have realised was probably too short/light for many stretches of the Don.. If anyone could comment that would be great.

Before the season starts I aim to try and develop my fly technique at some trout fisheries - probably Lochter, Haddo (when possible) and Mill of Elrick. If anyone has up to date information on the rates for Mill of Elrick please let me know. Also, other location suggestions are more than welcome. I drive, so would be willing to pick-up anyone who would like to fish but can't get there (when work and partner commitments allow!).

To round off, thanks again for letting me become part of the community and I aim on actively participating in the forum and meeting new people that share an interest in fishing.

Ron

Mike Barrio

Re: Introduction / First Post
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2016 at 17:09 »
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2016 at 18:15 »
I have slowly assembled a basic fly fishing set up (9ft, 5wt) which - if I had asked around before - I'd have realised was probably too short/light for many stretches of the Don..

hi Ron and welcome aboard.
assuming your intended target fish is trout i'd have a hard time thinking of another outfit that would suit rivers like the Don better.
i wouldn't hesitate for a second using the exact same kit on seatrout too  :wink

also, since you seem to be newish to the fly fishing/casting game keep in mind that a short lever (in this case the rod) is a lot easier to move around precisely than a longer one. if you don't mind a recommendation, i'd cut my teeth with what you have and worry about changing or adding to your collection later.
hope your season goes well,  :z16
marc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 26/01/2016 at 18:21 »
a basic fly fishing set up (9ft, 5wt)

welcome to the forum Ron

9ft 5wt- Perfect :z16

I do most of my Don trout fishing with a 9ft 5wt, sometime i use an 8ft 5wt, sometimes a 7ft6"4wt, sometimes a9ft 4wt and this year i will be back to using a 9ft 3wt on occasion.
So the 9ft 5wt is my longest and heaviest rod. Best place for you to start and then perhaps later on you may wish to go lighter . You won't want to go heavier.

I look forward to bumping into you on the river :z18

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2016 at 18:46 »
Nice to see another newbie on the forum - welcome  :z16

As has been said, a 9ft #5wt is just grand for the Don and will do you just fine. You don't need much more for Trout although something up a weight class or two might be handy if you develop an interest in streamer fishing and/or single handed Salmon fishing on the river. It might be desirable to consider something like that - perhaps a 9.5ft #6wt - for use at fisheries too, sometimes you need a rod with some balls.

What 9ft #5wt have you got :?

Whilst for brown trout you might wish to go lighter (in time, as Sandy suggests), by the very same measure if you branch into the 'dark arts' then a rod that is fit for purpose will aid your enjoyment and ability to cover water with the required technique.

:cool:

PS - using the right lines help, you are in the right place for that  :wink

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 26/01/2016 at 20:08 »
Welcome Ron,

You'll find everything you need to know on here. Good bunch of local guys as well.

PM me your address and I can send you some river flies,  I'm clearing out last years!  :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 27/01/2016 at 08:41 »
Hi Ron,
If you are looking for stillwaters to try,  and you live on the lower Don, then don't forget Parkhill Fishery that you have on your ADAA ticket. Its 5 minutes from the Bridge of Don if you take the back road, the same from Dyce.

I would also recommend a catch and release ticket on MidMar  fishery, bit further to travel but a nice water to fish. Its never busy and there are 3 lochs to try, all offering some good fishing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com