Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Marine Conservation Zones
« on: 17/01/2016 at 20:20 »
in the telegraph today new MCZ,s in England, I cant see this happening in Scotland , it might encroach on the Salmon farming sites,
weaster ross salmon have one of the Highest sealice numbers in the industry,this was in the Editorial in T&S, easgach 1

Mike Thornton

Re: Marine Conservation Zones
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2016 at 15:44 »
There are already marine conservation zones in place in Scotland.  Western Isles fishermen are arguing against the proposed setting up of such zones on some of their inshore fishing grounds, where they traditionally work in the winter when the weather is bad.  Perhaps the "green" lobby  have scant regard for  fishermen's welfare, or for the communities which depend on them for their survival.    It's probably all linked to securing votes from the central belt.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2016 at 17:10 »
It's probably all linked to securing votes from the central belt.
Cynical, but very probably accurate :!

I've spoken with a few folk about protected zones in the Minches of late, fisherman and SNH, some interesting views from both. I want to draw a comparison with Dr Beechings report on the railways..... but it doesn't quite work. That said, it does seem like a slightly one-sided battle and not unlike the unsuccessful efforts to save many branch lines.

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2016 at 19:36 »
The fishery trusts seem to be getting involved at least round our area,its like the fishery reform act they wont address the  fish farming issue,easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com