Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Thornton

Re: What was your first ever outfit?
« Reply #15 on: 25/01/2016 at 16:48 »
 It was a 15 foot Ghillies Choice #10.   I still have an 11 foot,7/8, Ghillies Choice.   Learned my lesson and wont part with this one.  Modern rods are not always the best,

Ian Bell

« Reply #16 on: 02/02/2016 at 16:22 »
A hand me down from my father ... an 8ft solid fibreglass spinning rod ! Thirty bob (1959) from Woollies.  and an ancient Intrepid (I think) reel.
Also a very heavy greenheart rod, must have been about 13ft, only used for "worming" in big floods!
Memories come flooding back, happy days  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 02/02/2016 at 17:07 »

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2016 at 18:23 »
i can't unsee that.................  :z4 :z7 :roll :oops :z6 :cry :shock :z10 :z5 :X2 :z4

Alan Davidson

« Reply #19 on: 08/02/2016 at 22:35 »
My first rod at the age of 10 was a white Diawa spinning rod that I got from my older briother for Christmas. Can't remember the length, only that it was bigger than me. The reel I am not sure about. My first Salmon was caught on this rod at 8lb on a devon minnow. It was caught on a Deveron pool owned by a good friend of my dad. It was the same pool that the good friend's Aunt caught the biggest Salmon caught on fly, so that made it even more special.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #20 on: 09/02/2016 at 17:25 »
If I remember correctly my first rod was a hand me down 9' 6# shimano twinpower.

It was a cracking rod that was unfortunately broken by one of dad's customers years later  :cry

Cheers

Steven.

Robin Roos

« Reply #21 on: 05/10/2016 at 08:14 »
Guideline EPIK Pike 9' #9 Kit, bought this week.  I have put in a few casts already and she seems really well balanced.  I do question whether the 6-8 reel is quite big enough for the #9 line and will consider upgrading to the 9-11 reel at some point, but only if doing so would not adversely affect the very good balance.

The angling outfitter was closing down their fly section, so I also picked up a Guideline Fario 9' #5 for an absolute steal (neither "Fario CRS" nor "Fario Classic", just "Fario" with the mayfly engraving on the butt).  Is it any good?  :-)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com