Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Flyguy

Favourite lure
« on: 11/01/2016 at 18:45 »
What is everyone else's favourite lure for trout this hooligan has never failed me

Rob Brownfield

Re: Favourite lure
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2016 at 08:15 »
Lure????? Wash you mouth out..lol

When I first started trout fishing all those years ago on Walthamstow and a local trout lake near Waltham Abbey, the tackle shop only supplied a few flies. The ones that caught my eyes were,  a Missionary and a Sweeny Todd.

If one did not work, the other did. Two flies that I caught hundreds of trout on, until I discovered....the Black Zulu!!!

The very first Scottish trout I ever caught was on a Zulu, and the second, and the third........

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2016 at 14:56 »
Ouch! that hurt my eyes, what are you fishing for? that looks like a smaller version of one of my Pike lures , :z4 easgach  1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2016 at 15:06 »
Rainbow trout I suspect ...... in which case a gold beaded Olive Damsel and a gold beaded Cats Whisker are very productive :wink

Cheers
Mike

Flyguy

« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2016 at 19:01 »
Lure????? Wash you mouth out..lol

When I first started trout fishing all those years ago on Walthamstow and a local trout lake near Waltham Abbey, the tackle shop only supplied a few flies. The ones that caught my eyes were,  a Missionary and a Sweeny Todd.

If one did not work, the other did. Two flies that I caught hundreds of trout on, until I discovered....the Black Zulu!!!

The very first Scottish trout I ever caught was on a Zulu, and the second, and the third........

Yes I know lures but I've been told traditional flies are no good this time of year and since I've only started 3 months ago it's all been lure fishing for me up till now I have started my traditional fly collection in anticipation for the summer  :z4

Flyguy

« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2016 at 19:05 »
Ouch! that hurt my eyes, what are you fishing for? that looks like a smaller version of one of my Pike lures , :z4 easgach  1
It catches a lot of trout eyes lol I fish 4 days a week all be it at fisheries but when things aren't going well I stick a hooligan on and it always catches

Flyguy

« Reply #6 on: 12/01/2016 at 19:09 »
Rainbow trout I suspect ...... in which case a gold beaded Olive Damsel and a gold beaded Cats Whisker are very productive :wink

Yes mainly rainbows I've had blues which is just a colour mutation of a rainbow  as I guys will knowand a tiger trout on it I quite like the hot head damsel aswell A lot fishermen who I have shown the magic hooligan to say it resembles a cats whisker I don't know as I've not got one in my collection yet  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2016 at 20:07 »
Aye , well you will have to get on to the wild browns then, it's over 60 miles to my nearest 'bow fishery, so I wont be going soon,I will mainly be getting my gear sorted for next season and tying flies,  :X2 easgach 1

Flyguy

« Reply #8 on: 12/01/2016 at 22:15 »
That's my aim in the summer to try my hand at some wild brownies but for now the fisheries are great for practice and perfecting my cast we are spoiled for choice of fisheries here and the surrounding area

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2016 at 14:48 »

Yes I know lures but I've been told traditional flies are no good this time of year and since

Who told you that, a lure salesman? ;)

Admittedly I do not do much trout fishing in the winter, but in the days when I was out in hail and snow I found buzzers and bloodworm worked very well indeed, especially if the sun came out for a few minutes. Even caught on the surface.

But yes, generally lures do pull fish in the winter.

Flyguy

« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2016 at 19:28 »
I've not seen anyone using traditional flies at any the fisheries I've been at it must be the time of year lol

Gethin Jones

« Reply #11 on: 14/01/2016 at 10:10 »
I don't use many  lures as I mostly fish for wild browns nowadays, but one lure that's been very  productive for me for rainbows  and even early season  browns is the mini JC Viva in a size 12.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com