Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Thoughts on this?
« on: 18/12/2015 at 22:21 »
Here is my favourite fish from today. It was an absolute stunner, almost wild looking! It looked, fought and felt different to everything else. Is it possible for stocked fish to reproduce? If so I think this is the outcome....

A head shot that shows early stages of a kype?

Truly a stunning fish!

:z18

Steven Sinclair

Re: Thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2015 at 01:12 »
Stunning bow Liam!

Reminds me a lot of the fish we caught in Alaska.

I'm sure I heard/read somewhere that mill o criggie had managed to have a breeding population but that might be nonsense.

Cheers,

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2015 at 01:20 »
Liam,

Out of curiosity which fisheries it from?

Cheers,

Steven.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 19/12/2015 at 08:21 »
 Steven,

It was Locter, I only fish there now for a couple of reasons.  :z16

Liam

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 19/12/2015 at 10:43 »
hi Liam,
yes, some may reproduce because the sterilisation process sometimes doesn't work and it appears that some may revert from sterile back to fertile over time.
as for the kype, buck rainbows can develope them whether they're sterile or fertile. my guess is it depends on the stock strain but that's just a guess.

regardless, nice fish !  :z16
cheers,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2015 at 10:50 »
sterile big-guy from Thomas Berggren's fishery in Sweden-

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2015 at 10:57 »
another kyped buck-

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2015 at 12:19 »
Thanks for clearing that up Marc!  :z16

Awesome Bows there!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 20/12/2015 at 10:35 »
another kyped buck-

And a bonny trout too :z4 :z4

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 20/12/2015 at 16:15 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 21/12/2015 at 11:15 »
I have seen Rainbows going through spawning (motion?) on Loch Inch. There seems to be an area where spring water comes up from the bottom, keeping the gravel exposed, and Cass and myself watched 4-5 fish "spawning".

On the same day Cass got her first Rainbow and it was dripping milt.

gunner100

« Reply #11 on: 21/12/2015 at 21:42 »
Stunning bow Liam!

Reminds me a lot of the fish we caught in Alaska.

I'm sure I heard/read somewhere that mill o criggie had managed to have a breeding population but that might be nonsense.

Cheers,

An earlier proprietor, a fishery scientist I believe, deliberately set out to provide the optimum spawning gravels he could in a burn running into the fishery. When I fished Mill o Criggie, probably about 10 years ago I caught on two occasions small rainbow trout abut 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb. They were very bright silver, not the usual rainbow colouring or spotted, very slim and fully finned with no wear or rubbing marks . Certainly not standard stockies.

Lyall

Steven.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 21/12/2015 at 21:50 »
I had a discussion with Andy Walker from faskally a good few years ago after talking to Eric McVicar of Mill of Criggie about the wee rainbows in the fishery and according to Andy experiments faskally had done showed there is the possibility of rainbows breeding in the wild in Scotland. However, he said that no matter what they had done the second generation of fish i.e. the offspring of the first spawning fish would not reproduce. He also suggested there may have been some small fish  in a batch of stockies giving the impression there was breeding going on.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 21/12/2015 at 21:59 »
I had a discussion with Andy Walker from faskally a good few years ago after talking to Eric McVicar of Mill of Criggie about the wee rainbows in the fishery and according to Andy experiments faskally had done showed there is the possibility of rainbows breeding in the wild in Scotland. However, he said that no matter what they had done the second generation of fish i.e. the offspring of the first spawning fish would not reproduce. He also suggested there may have been some small fish  in a batch of stockies giving the impression there was breeding going on.

I think that's about spot on Peter, there are random spawning, but outside of the Derbyshire Wye, no sustainable populations in the UK

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 22/12/2015 at 13:38 »
Here is my favourite fish from today. It was an absolute stunner, almost wild looking! It looked, fought and felt different to everything else. Is it possible for stocked fish to reproduce? If so I think this is the outcome....

A head shot that shows early stages of a kype?

Truly a stunning fish!

If you want to read some no nonsense, straight to the point info on wild Rainbow reproduction in the UK along with facts and the history of Rainbow stocking going back to the 1800's, read what Steve Parton had to say about it.

Debunks a few myths and explains the ins and outs of why Rainbows spawn in many places outside the UK, including Slovenia, Estonia and the likes, but only about a dozen locations in the UK.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com