Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Craig

Hello
« on: 16/12/2015 at 13:23 »
I'm new here, and thought I'd introduce myself and tell a little story.

I first picked up a fishing rod in June upon being invited by a friend to share a boat at the Glen Tanar loch. With my wedding looming I found this a relaxing escape from the eternal question over what colour of tablecloth should be used at our wedding reception. I caught nothing and lost a number of flies, but enjoyed it nonetheless and subsequently cobbled together a rod etc. from friends and family.

Over the following months I pursued the quest of catching a fish at the many still water fisheries around Aberdeenshire, largely unsuccessfully, despite numerous takes. Then I learned that that rather that standing around looking at birds, I needed to set the hook and shortly prior to getting married in September, I caught a modest little rainbow trout.

This piqued my interest...

I was lucky enough to travel to New Zealand in early October on honeymoon but was warned prior to this by an uncle of mine that he would never speak to me again unless I had a go fishing out there. So I did, and caught a brown trout of proportions that I did not know existed on a small river .

The bug has well and truly bitten.

I'm looking ahead to next year, and itching to give river fishing a go, in particular on smaller streams and rivers. I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest where and how I might get started, bearing in mind I'm a beginner. I've done a fair bit of reading, but coming to the conclusion that a bit of experience is the answer.

Any pointers appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Mike Barrio

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2015 at 13:36 »
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum :z16

I enjoyed reading your story ........ and so the adventure begins :cool:

Remind us about this when the trout season opens and I'm sure somebody from the forum will invite you to 'tag along' for a day's fishing somewhere.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2015 at 14:47 »
Cool story James, liked that a lot :cool:

Joining a local club is usually a solid plan, they often have a mentoring scheme in place or someone to help show you the ropes. Forums such as this will always yield a broad spectrum of advice, some good and some.... errr.... excellent  :wink

I'd recommend that some time with an instructor (prior to and during the next season) would be time very well spent - I am biased, I am an instructor - but with the right instructor you will not make a better investment in your fishing. There are also various courses run which are worth a look, Paul Procter is running one on the Don next year with the delightful Gilly Bate via Fly Odyssey http://www.flyodyssey.co.uk/Blog/wild-brown-trout-fishing-course-with-paul-procter-river-don-aberdeenshire/ but there are other possibilities.

As Mike says, come the start of the season, I'm sure there's more than one forum member willing to have you along for a day. Just ask.

:z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 16/12/2015 at 19:05 »
Welcome to the forum JAmes and welcome to the brotherhood of the angle  :cool:

:z18

Jim

James Craig

« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2015 at 12:06 »
Thanks all, looking forward to the new season.

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com