Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Small Grub Hooks?
« on: 07/12/2015 at 22:46 »
Hey guys

I'm in full tying mode and am progressing nicely.  The patterns I'm on now need small grub hooks 16-18. I was using the kamasan b100 but don't like the gape that's left with a beaded fly. I've been looking at the Partridge equivalent K4A which comes in those sizes but can anyone say if the profile is different to the b100? I.e better gape and a more curved shape. 

I see partridge are now doing a heavier duty SLD, anyone used them yet?

:z18
Liam

Rob Brownfield

Re: Small Grub Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2015 at 08:22 »
Have you looked at the K4A/S It has a straight eye meaning that with a bead, you get a slightly bigger gape.

The Fulling Mill Czech Nymph hook has a very wide gape but only goes down to 16.

The Dohiku HDG 644 grub hook has a straight shank near the eye. This leaves plenty of room for a bead.

The 645 has more of a bend, but has an even bigger gape.

I get mine from the fly tying boutique - https://www.flytyingboutique.com/hooks/buzzer-grub/

Allan Liddle

Re: Small Grub Hooks?
« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2015 at 08:22 »
Liam SUD2 and SLD2 are both cracking hooks but still towards the lighter wire for more surface patterns, Patriot Sproat more in line for sub surface stull including nymphs and a great hook as well.
Patriot Grub light for emerging dries, Grub Heavy for bugs, both crackin hooks too and I feel the best Partridge curved profile.

Partridge have also taken over Sprite if you need a cheaper option (all barbed though) and a decent range of hooks on offer.

Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com