Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: nail knotting
« Reply #15 on: 17/11/2015 at 07:39 »
So much for their claim to have 50% bigger butts then!

Found one ancient old packet for the 1x, 15ft, 7lb leeda - butt is 0.018" or 0.4572 millimetres. Or it was, on that old style one!

Have had a copy of Fly Fishing & FT sitting open at a page showing the superglue and needling the leader inside the flee line. Very neat. will give it a go one day (but not one for doing on the riverbank).

So, undoubtedly I'll now go away and experiment with leaders of varying butt diameter for a while. By experimenting, I mean go away and buy loads of different brands, try them in inconclusive, unscientific tests, chopping 5 feet off of the end of my favourite Smallstream in the process, before finally reverting back to using the Leeda ones anyway...

i,

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 17/11/2015 at 09:00 »
Have had a copy of Fly Fishing & FT sitting open at a page showing the superglue and needling the leader inside the flee line. Very neat. will give it a go one day (but not one for doing on the riverbank).

I confess that gives me the heebie-jeebies every time I try it. I get myself all psyched up to try the superglue (other fast acting glues are available) only 'knot' and I pussy out every time  :oops
Odd when you consider I trust braided loops and superglue to do a lot of my Salmon 'rigging', on trout stuff I just cannot bring myself to to rely on a glued in connection betwixt leader and fly line.
So, undoubtedly I'll now go away and experiment with leaders of varying butt diameter for a while. By experimenting, I mean go away and buy loads of different brands, try them in inconclusive, unscientific tests, chopping 5 feet off of the end of my favourite Smallstream in the process, before finally reverting back to using the Leeda ones anyway...

Nice  :z13

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 17/11/2015 at 09:38 »
That connection offers the best transition from fly line to leader that I've ever seen. No braided leader loop, no knots, I must confess that I was pretty unsure about this initially too, BUT ..........

I've watched Sandy play some pretty awesome trout over the last couple of seasons, I've certainly not seen any lack of confidence in his connection in the way he plays his fish ..... and I've not seen one fail :z4

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 17/11/2015 at 12:57 »
Very neat. will give it a go one day (but not one for doing on the riverbank).

If you get a C&F needle / nail knot tool it is very easy on the river bank. It takes about five minutes or less once you get the hang of it and the join is very strong. i've had Rainbows to over 6lb on my #4 without an issue. If you trust the 2mm ring on the other end of the leader then the Superglued end is nothing to worry about.
The secret is the 60grit sandpaper that you carry to rough up the nylon that will end up inside the fly line.  :z16
Try it on an old line and see how strong it is. All my trout lines have the connection done this way.

:z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #19 on: 17/11/2015 at 13:23 »
No way am I going fishing with superglue in my pocket... i can see the potential for that ending very, very badly...
... let's just absent mindedly work some of this floatant into the body of the fly...

:-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 17/11/2015 at 13:37 »
Fair point Iain!  :z4 :z4 :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #21 on: 17/11/2015 at 20:05 »
I'm keen to give the superglue connection a go next season. My question is what X tapered leader do most of you guys use? Length wise, around 9ft I'm guessing?

:z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #22 on: 18/11/2015 at 07:32 »
I like the Leeda ones that Iain put me on to but apparently he now likes a bigger butt.... :X5

Orvis Superstrong are good too with both types 9' long. I also like the breaking strain to be bigger than the strongest tippet that I will ever use and all the leaders end in a Riverge 2mm ring.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #23 on: 18/11/2015 at 07:56 »
hi Liam

15 foot Leeda, 1x/7lb. i cut it back a couple of feet and use a tippet ring. then tippet & single fly, overall length around 14-15 feet.

it's a pretty durable, simple set up, maybe I'll need to re-tie the ring in after a few weeks' use if the tapered leader starts to get a bit messy, sometimes lasts months.

cheers
i,

Liam Stephen

« Reply #24 on: 18/11/2015 at 07:58 »
Thanks Iain sound advice!  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #25 on: 18/11/2015 at 08:17 »

Quote from: TheYoungGun on Today at 07:58:37
Thanks Iain sound advice!  :z16

Naw, that's Euan's job!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 18/11/2015 at 09:22 »
I'm keen to give the superglue connection a go next season. My question is what X tapered leader do most of you guys use? Length wise, around 9ft I'm guessing?

Dude

I use the Orvis super strong 15ft leaders in 4x and 5x, i have 9ft 3x ones and 12ft 6x ones for some of my heavier and lighter lines (but don't use them much), but with the excpetion of August/September i fished the whole year on 15ft - 4x with the 5wt outfit. I dropped to the 6x in september when we were out just to fool the fish, which as you know seemed to be quite leader shy. :z16

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #27 on: 18/11/2015 at 19:38 »
Thanks Sandy. I'll get some ordered along with my regular Frog Hair ones and mess about with them. I see Orvis have a sale on them atm  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com