Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mattb1989

Recommend me a Magnifying Lamp
« on: 06/11/2015 at 15:47 »
Hi
Time for me to enter the forum with a first post. To date, I’ve been trying to do my fly tying with a magnifying glass. Very fiddly and renders very poor results. I have a bit of spare cash and think it’s time to upgrade to a “proper” magnifying lamp. Budget is about £100.

I think that one with a clamp would be best, but have little experience.

Does anyone have a particular favourite that they use and would recommend? Is there any brand that I should steer clear of?
Thanks for your input!
 :z12

Mike Barrio

Re: Recommend me a Magnifying Lamp
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2015 at 15:50 »
Good question, this is something that I need to think about getting too :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2015 at 16:11 »
One of these may suit your needs.  http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-a29ff    :z16  Quite a few fly tyers on another forum highly recommend them. Good luck.   :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2015 at 16:54 »
Looks good in the video :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2015 at 17:33 »
those are nice (i have one) (and only use it any more for the light) (because having a big fat loupe between me and the vise is a pia) (because it means constantly swinging it out of the way to have an undistorted look at the fly or to find things behind the vise) (and then loosing the light) (and) (and) (and)...

reading glasses worn low on the nose. slightly tilt up the head to see magnified, slightly tilt the head down for normal vision.
10£ at most. spend the rest on 3 or 4 Barrio fly lines !  :z16

mattb1989

« Reply #5 on: 07/11/2015 at 19:06 »
Guys,
thanks for taking the time respond. Seems some of us are in the same boat..!
I came accross this site that gives a fair few pointers on what makes a fly tying lamp.
I think I need a one with "daylight" fluorescent bulb lighting and a clamp at the bottom to keep it nice and sturdy when I am at work.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com