Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Itchy Feet
« on: 27/10/2015 at 16:32 »
Do you ever get 'itchy feet'?

We've been living here for about 30 years now, but prior to that I don't think I ever spent more than about 5 years in one place. Perhaps it is time for a new adventure :cool:

If you fancied a move ....... where would you go? Is there another place in Scotland that you fancy living, or overseas perhaps?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

Re: Itchy Feet
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2015 at 18:20 »
Do you ever get 'itchy feet'?

all the time, Mike. five minutes with a pumice stone, a little skin cream and i'm good to go...   :z4 :roll :z7 :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2015 at 18:51 »
Mike
After the last four years working in Poland  and West Africa, home is fine for me :)
 :z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 27/10/2015 at 23:19 »
I'm fortunate that my current job takes me all over the Highlands, which is very much where I choose to live. I don't get the chance to fish, but the view from my office (the great Scottish scenery) is hard to beat. I do get itchy feet and have a hankering to visit or move to some of the last great wildernesses' left, perhaps when my lad is of an age to enjoy it we will enjoy an adventure together. In the meantime I'm content with my lot, but an element of wanderlust draws me to visit new places wherever and whenever I can.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 28/10/2015 at 08:31 »
Very itchy, despite having just bought a lovely house with spectacular views over Royal Deeside and the mountains beyond (Mt Keen, Clachnaben etc).

The itchiness is more to do with the current crash in oil and gas more than anything. Cass has the chance of maybe moving to Singapore/Malaysia and it is very very tempting as that's is where I was brought up. But I fear times have changed out there.

Failing that, and despite not liking the French ;) there are areas of France with big Carp and Catfish that look tempting...and Cassies family have a vine yard across there "hic".

However......I spent 8 years of my youth flying halfway round the world three times a year plus visiting loads of places in SE Asia, Australia and Scandinavia, and since moving to Scotland 30 years ago, I have never ever left the place. Until a couple of years back, I did not even have a passport!

« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2015 at 10:57 »
Parked up at Breda the other day. 1 home farm Breda park for sale  looks a cracking house for the asking price. Still have to pay for the fishing tho  :z6 :z6.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 28/10/2015 at 14:23 »
Orkney with a reason to travel to the Deveron a lot  :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 15/11/2015 at 11:51 »
fished a lot this season with a pal who's new to wild trout fishing.

He constantly reminded me to reflect on how lucky we are up here with miles and miles of excellent, affordable, accessible wild trout waters within easy reach, and relatively lightly-fished compared to southern waters.

I'd happily relocate to Western Argentina and fish for trout during our winter if I could afford it!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 16/11/2015 at 00:25 »
Mike,

After living overseas for 6 years (Brazil, Malaysia, Singapore) it became time for me to move home with the family. It was not an easy decision to make as we loved Brazil and Malaysia (Singapore not so much, very nice place but kinda like living in a hospital if that makes any sense  :?)  the fishing in Malaysia was amazing. Boat/Kayak on the roof most weekends and buggering off into the jungle chasing Snakehead, Jungle Perch and Gurami. On the other hand however it cannot be considered a safe place to live, numerous break-ins in my neighbourhood, countless snatchthefts and a family taken hostage in their home just round the corner from us.

None of this would have bothered me in the past but now that the little one  is around (and another on the way) I was starting to get nervous leaving them alone when I had to travel on business so we made the decision to move back.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for in a location. For me we had to sit down and decide all the pro's and con's of coming home and eventually we made what I think was the right choice for US.

Now that I am home, I can leave for work in Russia, relatively safe in the knowledge that my wife and child are safe without me around. (some might say safer  :z7) and when I do return I can step out of my door, rod in hand, dogs in tow (without muzzles - required in Singapore) and bugger off and fish without anyone bothering me. In fact most of the time I hardly see a soul on the main river I fish which suits me just fine!

A lot of my friends think that I am off my head for coming back to what many of them refer to as a s$#thole. Granted these are the few who have not had the same opportunities to travel as I have and I can only put there comments down to ignorance.

For me the balance of safety, family/friends, ease of access to everything (no language barriers, semi-efficient services) and scenery is just right for me and I am delighted that we have moved back to Scotland.

Just my 2p worth

:z18

Steven.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 16/11/2015 at 03:26 »
Mike,

as you know I am currently living and working in the UAE. I have travelled extensively for the last 26 years and fished in many exotic locations and have another 3 years to go down here, the fishing here is interesting and I have had some great saltwater fly fishing, however like some of the other comments I am looking forward to moving back to Scotland when I am finished this assignment and getting back to the wild places that I enjoy so much. It is hard to find a place that I am more at peace with when you can visit places like Assynt, Uist and Durness and fish as one poet famously said (in splendid isolation)

Steven form the last post and I have fished in Alaska and it was great but for me nothing compares with the variety of fishing that Scotland has to offer. As far as where to live is concerned I would happily move back to the North East as a main base but I do have a hankering for a small cottage or a static caravan somewhere in the North West to use as a base during the summer months to explore the lochs and burns of the highlands.

Three more years (assuming I don't get laid off during the latest oil crash)  and my itchy feet will be firmly planted somewhere in bonnie Scotland.

Eddie.  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 17/11/2015 at 11:39 »
Three more years (assuming I don't get laid off during the latest oil crash)  and my itchy feet will be firmly planted somewhere in bonnie Scotland.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Eddie, that we are very lucky to have what we have on our doorstep :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

Re: Itchy Feet New
« Reply #11 on: 17/11/2015 at 14:10 »
Yup we sure are.

I recently gave a talk on wild trout fishing within Scotland and it included some of the following:
Given the relative small size of our country coupled with some of the most amazingly diverse scenery, waters, fishing styles and opportunity from our wave lashed islands through our remotest wilderness or even just 'along the road' Scotland has some of the best wild brown trout fishing available anywhere.
Gearing accordingly, lighter lines, lighter rods to make the most of our often modest sized fish can mean the angler has the chance to explore and enjoy almost all of it, but with many places offering the chance of trophy trout, with many surprises and memorable experiences along the way (did I mention the weather and the midges?), there seems to be a problem however.  With all the exotic places advertised around the world being promoted as said above we have at our fingertips the chance to enjoy a recourse that is amongst the best of it, but in recent times we simply have stopped selling it.
Gone are the days of pages luring the angler to the exotic homeland locations we all know so well with many new to the sport simply unaware just how good the fishing is we have at home.
Yes we need to be careful on how we sell this, yes we need to be aware of potential damage if we become 'too explicit' with the information, but with in excess of 20,000 lochs and lochans, countless thousands of miles of rivers and streams with a growing awareness on how good our coastline can be to the intrepid wild fly fishing lover should you want a wee change from chasing our humble wee 'broonie', then it's fair comment that we might have a bit more to offer and explore than we could realistically manage in one lifetime.  I've certainly set my target on seeing just how much I can squeeze in before my own personal 'close season,' how about you?

Maybe a wee script in there, it's given me an idea  :wink

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 18/11/2015 at 21:12 »
after living and working in the highlands for 45 years as an inshore fisherman, lines nets and creels, a gillie, a casting instructor with Sana creditation, this is longer than  than I have lived any where, I wouldn't want to move, as Allan says with all that fishing available, but I would like to see more of my grandchildren, who all live away from the highlands, it may come that I  move nearer
just to be able to see more of them, but it will be a wrench, but for now I will stay, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com