Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

The outcome of the 2015 project
« on: 21/10/2015 at 19:37 »
Many of you know i have been trialling various carbon blanks this year, some of you have been good enough to take them and try them and give me some good honest feedback :z18 This has been massively appreciated, so thank you. You know who you are. :z16

The culimination of much fishing , messing about, research and development  has been a blank that has surprised me. All the blanks i tried this year have been good, i selected known good products to start with, but the one that has come through for me is a Custom spec blank built for me in Scotland by a certain retired gentleman. I did think that the rod would be a one off and had almost discounted it, but a good conversation and a compromise that means i get to finish off the blanks and cut them to size myself has meant i have now a limited supply of these blanks all rolled in Scotland.

So meet the SCF905 a 9ft 5wt 4 pc carbon fibre rod. Satin natural finish and a super smooth casting, med/fast action rod with  ultra quick recovery. The spec has bee optimised for fishing rivers with dryfly, so its a supremely able at presentation and off axis casts, but tightens up and casts laser straight when you want it too..

The Demo rod has been built with Black pearl recoils and Weighs 74grams. The MOI is just 64 so it feels really light in your hand when casting as well.
I have got some Custom Black Agate strippers with lovely banding through them that will make the rods, modern yet classic. So plan to theme the rods on these lines to keep the modern functional stealth look, whilst tying up with the rest of my more traditional Glass and Cane builds.

The prototype has accounted for Several fish this year, including a pretty good sea-trout and has managed to find its way into  a certain person's possession, and he's not giving it back :X2
So the Demo rod will be my goto carbon next year, the decals were an experiment that could be better, so have been dramatically improved upon and i will post picture of the next build with the finished decals.

The new rod was christened this afternoon, with a couple of smallish finnock off the ythan while i was practising my casting.
So its off and running

If anyone wants to try the demo over the winter, drop me a line and we can try and sort something out. My webpage will be updated with more details over the winter :z16

Hope you like it

Sandy

Liam Stephen

Re: The outcome of the 2015 project
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2015 at 20:00 »
Looks awesome Sandy  :z16

I can't wait to have a cast or ten.

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2015 at 20:16 »
Awesome Sandy ..... I know how much work has gone into this project :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2015 at 13:29 »
Very nice once again Sandy, you certainly produce some beautiful bits of kit, perhaps we can give it a real test next Spring on a river near me  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 22/10/2015 at 14:01 »
Allan

The prototype has fished a river somewhere near you already, but not on a day when you were there I'm afraid. :wink

You'll like it though :z16
What is interesting, is because I'm finishing the blanks from their "straight of the mandrel state" I have a bit of wiggle room. So although the blank has been optimised to be a 9ft 5wt, the way I want it, I can cut the blank to be a slightly less fast 9ft 6" 5wt or a  faster 8ft6" 5wt and anything in between for perverts. So it has the potential to be a truly bespoke product that I can theoretically 'Tune' to suit a caster. I will only make the one demo rod though and it's  9ft,  then it would be up to an individual to suggest whether they want a bit more reach, a bit more punch, a touch more grace, whether they want a bit more line control for on the water, or in the air, etc or whether the centre ground all rounder is the one they want.

Cheers :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com