Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Secret Life Of Midges
« on: 19/10/2015 at 10:44 »
Tonight on BBC 1 ( 21.00 ) ...... Might be worth a watch?

BBC description:

The Scottish midge is a small beast with a big reputation. As one of the few flies in the British Isles that feed on human blood, it can cause havoc for anyone who has to live and work among them. But what makes some of us more attractive to the midge than others? On a journey around some of Scotland's midgier places, insect scientist Dr James Logan of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine explores the secret life of the midge to discover how best to cope with the terror of the Highlands and whether some of us might contain our own natural midge repellent.

Marc Fauvet

Re: The Secret Life Of Midges
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2015 at 10:54 »
wish i could see it.  they don't bite me (when mates are all covered with bites) but they still annoy like hell... nukem' all !   :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2015 at 11:58 »
Dunno what I was expecting, the programme was 'OK' and I probably would have moved on to something else ...... but I got sucked in by the presenter's enthusiasm for his subject and watched it all the way through.

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2015 at 12:19 »
didi he get bit ?  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2015 at 12:24 »
Yes Marc, everybody got bit :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2015 at 16:16 »
 :X4  :lol  ;D

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2015 at 19:50 »

Quote from: Mike Barrio on Today at 12:24:02
Yes Marc, everybody got bit :z4

everyone got bit. a lot!
i was itching just watching it

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2015 at 20:29 »
Yes,  I was getting that itching sensation too Iain :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 22/10/2015 at 13:33 »
Acht you know it's not bad until you reach breathing them in proportions, one part air two parts midge  :z4 :z4

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2015 at 14:34 »
Are the Midges migrating from west coast to the north east. reason i ask is i have been up to linn of dee a few times over the past 3 years and never had a problem with the midge menace until last month.
I was parking my car and getting my boots and the place was thick with em  and proved to be a menace until i reached Hutchison Memorial hut. There was a fella pitching a tent when a was walking back along from derry lodge and had on a head net, there was a huge swarm round his heed  :z4 :z4.

Mibees just a one off  :z8 :z8 i believe has been a record year for the dreaded midge  :z10 :z10

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #10 on: 22/10/2015 at 20:50 »
I was doing some work on a boat engine  one time on the NW  coast of Scotland   .   The midges were thick in the early evening and everyone was getting attacked .

I was clear of them , they left me alone ............. and it was all down to the smell of diesel . I did not realise how bad I smelt  until I called for a pint and nobody  stood near me .

So if they are on the go  smear diesel all over yourself .   The midges will not come near you  .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com