Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Salmon conservation in Scotland - AKA the "kill licence"
« Reply #15 on: 24/10/2015 at 16:20 »
The Dee board working on Don business will have Don emails, There will be a Don office at Dinnet and Ross McDonald will involved in marketing both rivers etc. It all sounds positive to me :z16

I must confess that this worries me ........ I'm not sure what, if any, Brown Trout experience they might have?

Best wishes
Mike

Liam Stephen

« Reply #16 on: 24/10/2015 at 16:36 »
Probably none Mike.  :z8

Aren't they a pesky vermin fish!?  :X2

Liam

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 24/10/2015 at 16:57 »
I must confess that this worries me ........ I'm not sure what, if any, Brown Trout experience they might have?

Mark Bilsby has plenty of experience and is passionate about all Salmonidae and, of course, one of the biologists now working on the Dee (Jamie Urquhart) was the first (and probably last) biologist employed outright by the River Don Trust - not all that long after we formed the Trust in 2008 - so there's depth of knowledge and years of experience available to the team.

However..... although I am not surprised the Trusts have reached a rather one sided 'accommodation' when it comes to the sharing of resource (in fact I am rather surprised it has taken this long) I see a worrying parallel between the Dee/Don marriage and the Ness/Beauly Trust. Looks good on paper, keen staff but not enough people or money to actually deliver the FMP.
Will watch this one with interest.

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 24/10/2015 at 17:04 »
Good points Hamish :z16

« Reply #19 on: 24/10/2015 at 20:14 »
I should have probably started a new thread on this but regarding the DON AGM brown trout never got a mention now that is worrying and Disappointing  i my self should have asked a few  questions on this.

However that said the fella wants emails  so that is your chance. My first email will be regarding protection of the larger browns over 2lbs or lack oh.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 24/10/2015 at 20:53 »
I must confess that I have an unfounded suspicion that any marketing of the two rivers will be Salmon orientated.

Unfounded and unfair at this point of time perhaps, but certainly something that I would worry about.

The Don and the Dee are two very different rivers!

Sorry Hamish, this is slightly off your main topic :oops

« Reply #21 on: 24/10/2015 at 21:20 »
Probably none Mike.  :z8

Aren't they a pesky vermin fish!?  :X2

Liam

The browns are certainly the hardest fighting fish in the Don  :z16

Mike Thornton

« Reply #22 on: 25/10/2015 at 14:42 »
  Will the Don Board staff be retaining their current office base at Cluny Castle ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 31/10/2015 at 17:07 »
I don't know if the Don Trust will retain those offices or not - anyone :?

« Reply #24 on: 01/11/2015 at 11:38 »
There was no word of not having a office at Cluny, Any way here is a snippet from the chairman's foreword.

I can now report we have agreed a service level agreement with the Dee board and we are in the final stages of hand over. In essence, The Dee will take over the payroll,Accounts,and general administration from 1st November 2015. There will also be an integration of bailliffing teams. Rest assured the board remains fully accountable and will retain control of all issues.
The agreement simply executes our wishes.

it was made clear at the AGM on the Bailiffs that it will remain as it is although they will work together from time to time.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 01/11/2015 at 11:54 »
I don't know if the Don Trust will retain those offices or not - anyone :?

Is the River Don Trust still active?

« Reply #26 on: 01/11/2015 at 12:02 »
Is the River Don Trust still active?

Am hoping one thing that may improve with the Dee board involved is basic information. The AGM date was not posted on the river boards web site.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #27 on: 01/11/2015 at 12:04 »
  I was speaking to Martin Webster, one of the Don  bailiffs on Friday.  He said the are to keep on their Cluny base in the meantime since there is no room for them all across at the Dee offices.  He also jokingly said it may be because the Don lads might not fit in with all the toffs.   Could there be a grain of truth in that ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2015 at 11:40 »
I attended the AGM of a local angling club during the past week.

As usual at such meetings there was a tedious amount of the usual crap to go through - but the interesting time when we came around to discussing what would happen if 'our' river was categorised such that mandatory C&R followed.

I was and am dumbstruck - lost for words - shocked in fact.... by the number of club members who said that they would give up their membership if mandatory C&R comes in 2016.
Genuinely I am really surprised and saddened by the number of members who said that was it, they'd give up there and then.

It worries me that this might be representative of how things have gone at other AGMs.... anyone :?

:shock

Euan Innes

« Reply #29 on: 28/11/2015 at 12:38 »
I hear the same things on other forums, but on the whole the feeling seems positive.
I for one don't care if it is C&R or not but I can't believe that some anglers are willing to give up fishing for salmon just because they are not allowed to kill the catch.
So I have to ask this. Where will they now go to fish and are there any vacancies where they used to??
Are they going to go to kill only rivers and overcrowd them? This will surely add more pressure on stocks.
It all seems very short sighted to me, but maybe I'm not normal....

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com