Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Some of you will have doubtless been monitoring the Scottish Governments work on the kill licence and the management of Salmon fishing in Scotland. I've not said much about it here to date, but all Salmon fishers in Scotland should be aware of the ramifications.......

If not, then you should read this:
http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0048/00486588.pdf

But you need to read this first:
http://www.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Salmon-Trout-Coarse/fishreform/licence

Once you've done that this classification will make some sense:

And thus this key should make sense.... I've colour coded it for quick reference  :wink

There is time yet for changes to be made, perhaps anyway.... but here's the thing I suspect there's going to be some issues.

The Beauly system has been designated as a Grade 3 water which, when you look at the 'Package of conservation measures' means that it will immediately come under this management action:

"Exploitation is unsustainable therefore management actions required to reduce exploitation for 1 year i.e. mandatory catch and release (all methods).  Production of a conservation plan is required in consultation with Marine Scotland."

The key part is the management actions and I understand that locally there's been considerable reaction to the prospects of a mandatory catch and release policy across an entire system. If we look at the Beauly as an example there are three rivers (Glass, Farrar and Beauly) that make up the majority of the system. That's many proprietors, a fishery board, a trust and an angling club all likely wishing to formulate a response to, and be part of, a management plan that would seem to already be too late to prevent anything other than compulsory C&R.

To me it would seem to be folly in the extreme to have disparate responses from the Lower Beauly Fishings, the BAC, the proprietors on the Glass and Farrar when we should be speaking with one representative voice. But we are not and I can only presume that if it's every man for himself here it's likely to be similar elsewhere - but not everywhere. It is not the role of a fisheries trust to deal with this, it's the management board and I rather feel this requires rapid consultation/formulation of a response.
Additionally the conservation plan the system will need to lodge will require to be practical, representative and be based on the realities of management in a complex hydro system. But that's just the Beauly, what about elsewhere in Scotland :?

That map must make some uncomfortable viewing in some places and from where I'm sat it's pretty gutting. Why :? Well although I am happy with 100% C&R (and I continue to fish 100% C&R for Salmon and Sea Trout) the choice to take a fish if I should chose to do so (within the rules of the fishery) have pretty much just been taken away for a minimum of one year. Only an idiot would make that one year by the way, for a measured indication of success you'd be as well making that a decade.
I digress. Whatever way you look at it is only right that a balanced view and response is lodged with the Scottish Government via the designated authority - if we can ever establish who that representative body is. SANA :? Errrrrr........

In truth there are more Salmon being returned in the rivers of Scotland now than ever before, which is great news unless you happen to be part of the team that put the review together and came up with the proposals we face - it smells of work assembled on a rotten foundation to me. Further more these 'kill' limits do not address the fundamental issues of what is happening to Salmon from post smolt to first run to spawn.
So how will this ban be enforced :?
I anticipate poaching/rule breaking will increase as anglers, no longer able to join angling clubs or pay for private fishing, will take a chance on not getting caught. Facts are the vast majority of Scotlands waters do not have anywhere near enough bailiffs nationally as by and large no-one can afford to pay for them now so it follows we cannot afford to pay for them in the future either.

Will Scotland as a whole go like the Dee did (initially) on the introduction of C&R :? Some beats were like ghost towns back then and that C&R model applied nationally in 2016 could be a disaster for the Scottish game angling industry. I'm not saying it will, just that it could. 
What about clubs :? I suspect that many clubs on Category 3 rivers will struggle to retain members - let's face it many do knock fish on the head. So if the membership count of a club dwindles then they will eventually become 'spent' and unable to pay their way.  The grim reality is that our sport is not attracting as many youngsters to the sport as it did. Those we do have are generally 'fostered' in clubs to encourage them to stick with the sport, without the support structure of clubs is it plausible that in time angling (for salmon anyway) will become something akin to fox hunting :?

The Scottish Government is stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I honestly find their classification of systems beyond comprehension with the figures I have seen.
Wait a moment.... didn't I say something about a rotten foundation earlier :? Catch returns,beat returns and DSFB figures must have been used to come up with the planned categorisation of waters - mustn't they :? Of course, they're always accurate.....

Don't get me wrong, I am entirely behind C&R as part of a management process, but it is one part of a many tiered response. I don't see anything else coming from the Scottish Government on what else they plan to do about these issues (or Sea Trout, for that matter) and frankly that pisses me off no end. If you want to do something nationally to conserve and protect Salmon then do your homework first and introduce well conceived plans for generations to come, not half arsed nonsense such as those I have just read. My two cents.

H :cool:

Good post Hamish

Very tricky situation indeed, Some of the river grades are strange and makes you wonder how much the fisheries review team consulted  with river boards.

As a Don man my self i have spent a lot of time on the river this year with a roving ticket and am deeply worried at the lack of Salmon. i spent April May June mostly fishing for browns and sea trout when they arrived and never seen a salmon in 3 months  :z8 :z8 towards end a July there was a  few summer salmon about then a decent run of grilse it has to be said but down hill again since and the Autumn run is poor at best.
The Don is i believe grade 2 and dam lucky not to be 3. Am also puzzled at the Deveron being grade 1 a much better Salmon river than the Don for sure but grade 1 really  :z8 :z8.

The grades for rivers with several tributaries are also complete bonkers as far as i can see.

Not sure what to make of it all to be honest, One thing for sure is the northeast has a huge problem with the Dee Don Deveron  Ythan all struggling.

MIbees they should be looking at the predators like Dolphins Seals Cormorants Sawbills rather than kill tags. That said i think kill tags them self's on a river like the Don is mibee not a bad thing as long as any cash raised from tags goes to the river board for river improvements.

Just my tuppence worth

Derek Roxborough

The committee is certainly not going to look at west coast salmon farms yet the whole of the west  coast is grade 3, I wonder who they consulted with there? easgach 1

The committee is certainly not going to look at west coast salmon farms yet the whole of the west  coast is grade 3, I wonder who they consulted with there? easgach 1

Aye the Lochy seems to be doing okay why would it be grade 3  :z8 :z8

Hamish Young

The more of this I read about the more I am bemused by much of the 'science' behind the decisions.
Worryingly a phrase I have come across is the 'best available evidence' and that concerns me, you don't make sweeping changes to fisheries across Scotland unless there is overwhelming, reliable and scientific evidence - not supposition, which in this context is how I would classify the 'best available evidence'.

Unquestionably the last thing anyone wanted under the current way fisheries are managed in Scotland was a new level of bureaucracy and even more red tape than we already have.
But here's a thing, I wonder if it (bureaucracy/enforcement/management) is actually needed as the expectation of the Scottish Government is that the current means of managing our fisheries picks up these measures and enforces them. That's a bit like me expecting to win the lottery when I never buy a ticket.

Of course, to fund such an organisation a levy would need to be raised - and one beyond that already paid by the owners of fisheries in Scotland. I know, what about a rod licence :?
If government requires money (usually for wars) then one of the key places to gain that finance is through taxation of it's own people - that's where the emergency tax called 'income tax' comes from folks - and whilst it's possible I'm playing devils advocate here a smidgen I wonder if the groundwork for the creation of a Scottish rod licence is being done right now. Who knows  :z8

Don't get me wrong, the reduction or cessation of coastal netting under this proposed legislation is highly desirable. That's especially true if we are going to reach the point of a 'sustainable surplus' in Salmon stocks (whatever the hell that is or how ever it is measured, probably as arbitrarily as the assignation grading of some waters in Scotland) and there is clearly work needed across much of the country to see our stocks of Salmon at least stand a chance when they are in our waters.

Whilst I do broadly agree with the proposals from the Scottish Government I wonder if practical enforcement might be an issue and if there is sufficient flexibility for a meaningful review in 2-3 years time. One thing I hope it does is galvanise all parties to work together, I wonder if it will :?

H

Rob Brownfield

Have you read Bruce Sandisons piece in FF&FT this month.

He states that many of the figures being banded about by the Scottish Government are fictional and based on original flawed "estimates". They use a multiplier system when calculating, for example, the number of jobs Aquaculture provides, to come up with a figure. As Sandison points out, as technology has changed, aquaculture has become less man power intensive so yes, tonnage (estimated) is up but employment figures have actually dropped.

So, we have a Government using estimates to gauge production, estimates to gauge numbers employed, estimates for escaped salmon, estimates for the numbers of wild fish caught and estimates for the number released.

We now are being told there will be consultations, reviews and so on to see if these estimates are "estimates" or not.

As pointed out, a 2 second glance of the map shows areas with strong Aquaculture bases are "at risk". (according to estimates that is)...

I estimate that 98% of the estimates are estimated!

If the Scottish Government were serious about conservation, how about some cold hard facts?

Derek Roxborough

When I worked in the industry in the 80's we were told about the thousands of jobs created throughout the Highlands, but when we did a little bit of research we found that there was probably less than 6 thousand in direct employment in the industry any thing else was a spin off and a lot of the spin offs had existed before salmon farming ,now the no's employed would be a lot lessa local site that employed 16  now employs 5, where I worked there were 7 employed there are now 3, any government figures are flawed by being out of date, easgach 1

Mike Thornton

The Aberdeenshire Dee has been more or less 100% catch and release for over 10 years now.  Yet it is classed as Category 3 and is therefore deemed to have failed to reach it's  sustainable  CL. [ conservation limit ].  What measures will now be imposed on Dee anglers ?  A shorter season ,  no fishing in low water,  limit the number of rods on the river , etc. ?   Lowering beat prices would result in greater fishing effort and catches would increase.  This would keep  the powers that be, and the boffins happy, although it would probably  defeat the object of the exercise.   To add to the conundrum, does anyone know, given the poor season the Deveron is having, why it has been classed as  Category 1 , indicating that all is well ? 
  As far as I can see, we appear to be blessed with too many so called "experts "  and the whole thing will simply lead to arguments and confusion.

Cant help but think the Deveron has been classed 1 so there is no delay on getting the nets back on in 4 years time  ??? ???

Hamish Young

Have you read Bruce Sandisons piece in FF&FT this month.

Indeed I have Rob, I agree with your assessment of estimates in this instance :wink

The Aberdeenshire Dee has been more or less 100% catch and release for over 10 years now.  Yet it is classed as Category 3 and is therefore deemed to have failed to reach it's  sustainable  CL. [ conservation limit ].  What measures will now be imposed on Dee anglers ?  A shorter season ,  no fishing in low water,  limit the number of rods on the river , etc. ?   Lowering beat prices would result in greater fishing effort and catches would increase.  This would keep  the powers that be, and the boffins happy, although it would probably  defeat the object of the exercise.   To add to the conundrum, does anyone know, given the poor season the Deveron is having, why it has been classed as  Category 1 , indicating that all is well ? 
  As far as I can see, we appear to be blessed with too many so called "experts "  and the whole thing will simply lead to arguments and confusion.

Got to be honest, I rather thought the Dee was a Grade 1 river :!
The Don as a Grade 2 was a surprise when the Deveron was also classed as a Grade 1.

Cant help but think the Deveron has been classed 1 so there is no delay on getting the nets back on in 4 years time  ??? ???

Aye, the Salmon will be sustainable by then of course :z7

Rob Brownfield

Re: Salmon conservation in Scotland - AKA the "kill licence"
« Reply #10 on: 21/10/2015 at 08:27 »
But it is all fundamentally flawed.

We have weather pattern change, global warming (if you believe that), high seas netting, coastal netting, increased water extraction, increased netting of sandeels (funny enough, to make feed pellets for farmed salmon!), increased aquaculture, including rainbow trout that escape into the rivers, increased farmed salmon escapees,  increased shrimp netting, issues with run off from farms, silting, and many many other threats to wild salmon, all of which remain untackled or untackleable (is that a word?)

Conservation has to start at the beginning of the chain, not the end.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 21/10/2015 at 15:24 »
These are measures made by people who are badly informed, by scientists, they very rarely consult with the people on the ground
look at some of the scientists who retired and then came out against salmon farming, now scientists are talking about the re-instatement of the 3mile limit, the  lifting of it in 1983 was science led, so now what's happened?  it's a mystery to me
easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2015 at 12:00 »
These are measures made by people who are badly informed, by scientists,

My better half would argue that the people employed to gather the data are not scientists (she is) but researchers. Seemingly they operate in a different way and the information gathered is very specific and does not take into account other criteria.

« Reply #13 on: 24/10/2015 at 12:07 »
Went along to the Don AGM the other night. The discussion on fisheries review kill tags etc just as you would expect really we are doing okay on return C&R and probably don't require kill tags, However if i picked it up correct this would be reviewed every 3 years so if standards dropped it could be graded 3.
Don board will new recommendations in place before next season.
Other interesting stuff was on going work to removing blockages  to open up new spawning grounds.

The lads from the Dee board who will be working with the Don board attended.

Mark Bilsby would welcome emails from any one with any recommendations improvements etc.  So gents don't hold back send in your lists  :z4 :z4

:z18 :z18

« Reply #14 on: 24/10/2015 at 15:31 »
Just to add to the above.
The Dee board working on Don business will have Don emails, There will be a Don office at Dinnet and Ross McDonald will involved in marketing both rivers etc. It all sounds positive to me  :z16 :z16.

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com