Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

monsterfish

Biggest Ever Salmon on the Don
« on: 08/10/2007 at 19:12 »
I want to hear stories of the biggest salmon you have caught on the don.  Where and when it was caught, what you caught it with?  My personal best was a 25 pound cock which was an absolute kipper.  The biggest I have heard of is 35 pounds.  Is there any near that size or even bigger maybe?  I look forward to any replies.

Thanks

Colin

Re: Biggest Ever Salmon on the Don
« Reply #1 on: 08/10/2007 at 19:42 »
My biggest ever salmon from the Don was a coloured hen which measured 43 inches long, due to the fact it was laden with eggs it was estimated at 35lb.  Unfortunately no camera with me at the time.  As it was a hen it was returned safely to the water.

It was taken on the Balbithan & Kinellar Beat on a floating rapala, unfortunately not the fly.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2007 at 11:06 »
The biggest Salmon? , can we include Kelts? :z6

My biggest fresh fish was a 9lb springer on a Devon (many moons ago :z4) , Inverurie
My most fun was a 7lb er on a size 16 black pennell and a 3wt rod, Manar
My largest salmon was a Kelt and it was 42 inches long (massive :shock) but doesnt really count, on a rapala. Wish it had been fresh:shock, Kemnay.

:z15

Sandy

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2007 at 12:40 »
Biggest salmon? Probably about 5 inches which is on a parr with most of the trout I've caught.  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 10/10/2007 at 08:57 »
Mine was a 6 pound fresh run fish that took a size 18 dry Greenwells Glory on a 2 pound tippet! Not bad considering I have never really fished for salmon  :z4

buntinbee

« Reply #5 on: 10/10/2007 at 10:19 »
My personal biggest from the Don has been 23lb and I have had 3 of that size from Parkhill. I have lost a couple of bigger fish, one very large one which I played for 3/4 of an hour before it fell off.
 My dad has had a 28lb and a 32 lb salmon, both within the last ten years or so, again from Parkhill.
I have also seen a cast of one caught by my father's old doctor, caught in Seaton hole which weighed 45lb I think. I believe the cast is hanging in a fishing tackle shop in Edinburgh now.

cameronpack

« Reply #6 on: 10/10/2007 at 16:56 »
I wished I could join in :(
Cam

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 11/10/2007 at 11:03 »
Had to go and find my old fishing diary  :oops had forgotten how long ago it was...... 1992 September at Alford 18.5lbs on my very own Squirrel and Orange fished on a dodgy airflo intermediate and a 12ft single handed rod  :cool:

Now I read the notes seems it destroyed what was left of the drag on my Drangonfly 120 reel and the hooks fell out when it got chapped on the head :z4

Haven't beaten 10lb from the Don since  :z15

rattrala

« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2007 at 20:57 »
Thought I would pst a picture of a large salmon caught a few day's ago on the Ness.

Now that is a monster.

My biggest fish on the Don was around 16lb taken on the fly. My goal is to get one over the magic 20lb mark.

Lloyd 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com