Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Brian Wilkinson

Switch Rod Advice required
« on: 18/09/2015 at 23:21 »
 Good evening to you and I hope you don't mind me asking for your heip. One of the rivers I often fish for sea trout is tree-lined and a switch would seem ideal. The river is fairly small, maybe 15-20 yards across going to 30 occasionally .I have my eye on an Orvis switch old model (2nd hand) and two are available. One is rated a #7 the other #8. I was going to ask the difference but feel sure someone would answer #1 :X2
So perhaps I could ask which you would recommend for casting double handed - I cannot see the need arising to use it for overhead casting. :z14
Once sorted I will need a switch line and having followed the forum for some time now it seems Mike B. will be getting a call for advice on which of his lines to buy for the rod.  :z18

Hamish Young

Re: Switch Rod Advice required
« Reply #1 on: 19/09/2015 at 07:09 »
Line choice is critical with Switch rods (when isn't it :?) and I'm both sure rods will be equally competent at waterborne casts with the right line - but it seems you have that part of the outfit well in hand, Mr B will see you right I am sure :wink So really the question is #7 or #8 wt and I have to say that the #7 would be my choice, especially if it's an original Helios Switch you are looking at which is a very fine rod indeed. Are they older Helios Switch rods or Access models you're looking at :?

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2015 at 17:23 »
Hamish, Many thanks for taking the time to reply. The rods in question are the original Helios, not the 2's. The way you phrase it suggests that one of the ratings is preferable to the other, or perhaps I am reading too much into it. An Access  #8 may also be available and from what I have seen they look fine rods although I have never tried one.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Once again many thanks.
Brian.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2015 at 19:31 »
It's a personal thing Brian..... get over a #7wt in a Switch rod and my mind tells me I'd be as well using a short #6wt double hander instead :wink Which is actually what I do use..... currently I do not own a switch rod :X2
The original Helios in a #7wt would be my choice - no question - of the rods mentioned in your post. It's the closest I have come to parting with cash to buy into the switch rod idea, I think it's a belting rod, perhaps only bettered by the Mackenzie switch rods  :z16
The Access is a fine rod, but the original Helios is just that leap better in my opinion, it's the premier rod.

If you can test them all out, that would be very good indeed.

H :cool:

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2015 at 19:54 »
Hamish, Once again many thanks for your invaluable advice.As suggested I will try what I can before buying.  After that I will be in touch with Mr. B. to buy a line to match.
Brian
 :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 20/10/2015 at 07:57 »
As a matter of interest Brian, did you buy a switch rod :?

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2015 at 20:02 »
Hi Hamish,

I certainly did and followed your advice to the letter. It is an unused Orvis Helios Switch #7 ( the original rather than the latest mark 2). Then I had a chat with Mr. B. and took his advice regarding a suitable switch line for that rod (seems a real genuine kind of fellow ).The line arrived very quickly and is all spooledup ready to go.
However as the rod is a Christmas present to me from my wife I guess I will have to wait until I can get to use it.
Many thanks Hamish for your advice, it was greatly appreciated.
Kind regards to you and all the contributors on this site. I will keep following with interest,
Brian.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2015 at 09:18 »
Hi Hamish,

I certainly did and followed your advice to the letter. It is an unused Orvis Helios Switch #7 ( the original rather than the latest mark 2). Then I had a chat with Mr. B. and took his advice regarding a suitable switch line for that rod (seems a real genuine kind of fellow ).The line arrived very quickly and is all spooledup ready to go.
However as the rod is a Christmas present to me from my wife I guess I will have to wait until I can get to use it.
Many thanks Hamish for your advice, it was greatly appreciated.
Kind regards to you and all the contributors on this site. I will keep following with interest,
Brian.

I have that very combination and it is AWESOME!!! I used mine on the Don for streamers for big trout through to stripping Sunrays for Salmon and doubles for Sea Trout, and everything in between :)

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #8 on: 22/10/2015 at 02:23 »
Hi Rob,

Out of interest which of Mr. B's  switch lines did you go for? Having listened to what Hamish had to say coupled with your comments it certainly appears that I made the right decision.  :z18
Thanks again to all,
Brian.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2015 at 13:51 »
Hi Rob,

Out of interest which of Mr. B's  switch lines did you go for? Having

If I remember, a Switch 6/7 coupled with various 10ft Versileaders to give me the options of surface through to deep flies.

I was going to go for the heavier one as I though it would help my casting but Mike advised the 6/7, so that was good enough for me :)

I believe Ben helped Mike develop the Switch line and it was a 7wt Helios that was used (the one I have now :) )

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 22/10/2015 at 13:52 »
Oh, and I have even cast it overhead with very big, heavy Sculpins :) The only switch rod/line combination I have been able to do that with :)

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #11 on: 22/10/2015 at 22:34 »
Thanks for that Rob. I was going through that exact thought process until Mike advised me to go for the lighter head. Even have a set of  10' Versileaders so good to know that they work well with that set up.
Most encouraging, cannot wait for next season. All the best,
Brian.

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 23/10/2015 at 07:11 »
Most encouraging, cannot wait for next season.

Practice, practice and more practice :! :z16

H :cool:

Brian Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: 23/10/2015 at 21:20 »
You are so right Hamish and even then I will have some more to learn.
To totally  misquote someone " good job I like this fishing lark" :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com