Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Upper Don Salmon fishing
« on: 18/09/2015 at 12:18 »
I have access to some water in the Strathdon area and am considering trying for a tourist for the first time. Some pointers / advise on suitable set up would be greatly appreciated.

I assume given the size of the river that a single handed rod will be sufficient but something a bit heavier that my usual 5wt more appropriate. Biggest question mark is lines, would a standard WF floating line work in combination with a variety of density leaders?

A s I said any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Robbie

Hamish Young

Re: Upper Don Salmon fishing
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2015 at 17:31 »
I'd plump for a 10' #7 or #8wt, nothing too 'tippy' but a fairly progressive action rod which has some 'balls' when needed - a similar 9'6" rod would be fine too and I've been known to use a 9'6"#6wt for this very task. Being able to single-hand spey cast will be a major boon so whilst a standard WF line would do at a push you ideally want something which is made for the task and relatively short headed - I'd look at a Barrio SLX, I've yet to find a finer line for this purpose.

You could go for making up a shooting head - which I did, until the SLX came along :wink - that way you can cut away until you find a head length and weight that suits you. However, an SLX would be far simpler :!

Personally I don't bother with anything other than medium, quick, very fast and 'oooh ya bugger that's heavy' sinking tips, 5' or 7' all that's needed.

Don't be afraid to fish big flies, even in small bits of the river :z13

H

« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2015 at 09:08 »
Thanks for the excellent information Hamish. What sort of length of tipped would you generally use on the end of the leader?

Cheers Robbie

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2015 at 10:07 »
No more than 4ft and more likely 3 - stiffness/breaking strain to suit size of fly in use.

« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2015 at 12:34 »
Thanks again Hamish, a heart help!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com