Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Fly tying/rod building room
« on: 15/09/2015 at 08:00 »
Its sort of tackle...I guess....

If you could build a small fly tying/rod building room, what would you personally add?

I am building a room within our new workshop, mainly to separate the actual car working area from where I want to tie up flies. So far I have the normal things like heat, light, table, storage and chair, but what other essentials do you think I need to consider in the design?

I was thinking of a 6'6" box and lid to act as a rod drying area in which I can add in a rod turner and perhaps a small heater (thinking the ones used for reptiles) so I can get a dust free environment to varnish rods.

The lathe for handles will be in the main workshop.

Anything else on the fly tying side perhaps?

Hamish Young

Re: Fly tying/rod building room
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2015 at 09:33 »
Straight off I'd suggest getting as much natural light as you can get into the space, better supplementing that than relying on mains lighting.
Make sure everything is as thermally efficient as you can make it - go OTT on insulation/kingspan etc. Yes it's money up front but the mid to long term benefits in the costs of running the room(s) will be quickly evident.
Without pics of what you've got 'in hand' Rob, it's hard for me to suggest much else at the moment.

H :cool:

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2015 at 13:09 »
Rob,

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures also, as I have just bought a house in the country and have a similar blank canvas workshop out the back.

Not big enough to separate car and fishing stuff  unfortunately but a decent sized man cave none the less.

I can't wait to get back from Russia and make a start on it all. I don't think that the wife has realized that it also just so happens to be spitting distance from the North Esk. (may have driven through Fettercairn each time to avoid passing the River)  :X2 :X2 :X2

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2015 at 08:29 »
Straight off I'd suggest getting as much natural light as you can get into the space, better supplementing that than relying on mains lighting.

Already sorted on that front. If we divide the workshop in half, then we are left with a large, 8 foot by 4  foot window on each side of the "room".  That still leaves another similar sized window for the car part and also double doors to open if need be.

Agreed on insulation. the workshop itself is single breeze block (or something like that) construction. No signs of damp, but I am sure it will be cold.

Also has an open roof structure, so making the room should be easy as we have something to fix the ceiling onto in the way of beams.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 16/09/2015 at 19:19 »
If you could build a small fly tying/rod building room, what would you personally add?

A bottle of whisky, for inspiration

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 16/09/2015 at 22:25 »
I don't think that the wife has realized that it also just so happens to be spitting distance from the North Esk. (may have driven through Fettercairn each time to avoid passing the River)  :X2 :X2 :X2

So that would put you and me as neighbours, sort of. Where about is the house? (PM me if you don't want it public)
Haven't fish the Esk yet but this area is a good commute to the Dee  :wink
Must try harder for the Esk next year...

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 17/09/2015 at 12:47 »
A bottle of whisky, for inspiration

there are currently 32 bottles in boxes in the workshop. Trying to find a place to keep them!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 17/09/2015 at 12:51 »
So that would put you and me as neighbours, sort of. Where about is the house? (PM me if you don't want it public)
Must try harder for the Esk next year...

Nope..that one fell through...now up in the hills in Royal Deeside :)

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2015 at 14:19 »
Nope..that one fell through...now up in the hills in Royal Deeside :)

Think he was referring to me Rob. Where about's are you Euan? The new house is a cottage on the back road between Fettercairn and Edzell (Lochodlaidh), closest Esk beat would be Burn Estate I think? I think you have fished with my old man in the past? I'm pretty much cut from the same cloth as him  so if you fancy a cast sometime just give me a shout, I don't need much of an excuse to get out on the water!

Besides chasing tourists I really want to get back into fishing the lochs around Glen Isla again if that's of any interest to you? I plan to be fishing Lintrathen, Shandra and Backwater a lot next season  :z16 Also keen to give Loch Lee a cast or three as it's somewhere I have never fished and also tubing Brandy.

Steven

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 17/09/2015 at 14:25 »

I'm glad I have the truck! In the Audi I tend to get a little bit carried away crossing the Cairn O Mount...13mpg average to Finzean on the trip computer and warped front discs on the last run  :X2 :X2 :X2

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 17/09/2015 at 15:13 »
I have a fly tying and rod building room, but the wife thinks it's the Kitchen,  :X2 easgach1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 17/09/2015 at 17:03 »
Think he was referring to me Rob.

Ooops...Soz!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 17/09/2015 at 17:05 »
The new house is a cottage on the back road between Fettercairn and Edzell (Lochodlaidh), closest Esk beat would be Burn Estate I think?

Not Gardner's Cottage by any chance?

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 17/09/2015 at 19:39 »
Edzell Woods Steven and yes I did fish with your old man.
And if he gets back in time for the end of the season I will try and do so again.  :z4
All the lochs on your list are also on mine but the Esk is something I really need to get on to. I know the Stracathro beat as I walk my dogs down there on Sundays and I know Burn House but not Burn Estate.
I can't drive the Cairn too much because other drivers will start to know the red missile that passes them where they think they cannot be passed... :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
But after a night on Invery it really doesn't take long to get home  :wink
I'll give you a shout when I get a free minute. I am trying to pack in a couple of tourist days between boats and the end of the season.

Rob,
If you need a hand shifting the whisky just shout. Pal, mate, gentleman...

Two line winders on the bench, a small fridge (ice), a good small stereo that has a large hard drive full of good toons, poroper wader hangers, boot dryer, jacket hangers, net hangers, natural light and moveable spot lights, fishing art (NOT the Somers calander, FFS), mobile phone signal blocker, and a couple of really comfy chairs.
The rest is up to you.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 18/09/2015 at 07:47 »
Rob,
If you need a hand shifting the whisky just shout. Pal, mate, gentleman...

Two line winders on the bench, a small fridge (ice), a good small stereo that has a large hard drive full of good toons, poroper wader hangers, boot dryer, jacket hangers, net hangers, natural light and moveable spot lights, fishing art (NOT the Somers calander, FFS), mobile phone signal blocker, and a couple of really comfy chairs.
The rest is up to you.

Whisky, I am thinking it needs drunk :) Perhaps a tying and snifter night?

Somers Calender...classey! ;)

The rest of the stuff, not sure just how warm I am going to be able to keep the room, but yes, I like the idea of wader drying etc.

I also need a separate lockable and secure storage "bin" for rods, holdalls, bivvies etc. It is scary just how much the rods on there own are worth!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com