Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Assynt at the end of September
« on: 02/09/2015 at 17:54 »
Gents,
i know well that conditions constantly change and fly fishing is nothing but variables  but i'll be in the area around September 25th and would really appreciate any tips and tricks: flies, expected hatches or other food types the fishes might be interested in, tactics, etc, anything. thanks !  :z16
cheers,
marc

ps, i already know that i'll most probably freeze my buns off...  :z4

Derek Roxborough

Re: Assynt at the end of September
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/2015 at 20:03 »
at the moment we are in a stream of NW winds dropping the temperature, unless there is a rise in temperature stick to wet fly all the traditional patterns work well, My pal lived at Stoer for many years and did all his fishing with 3 flies, silver march brown ,
mallard and claret , and soldier palmer, he caught some tremendous fish and he bought only these either 10's or 12's, on a stiff day on Loch Assynt he fished 8's, so go prepared Mark,  easgach 1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2015 at 07:41 »
thanks, i have all those and a lot more standard loch flies already packed.  :z16
these are all pretty much on or near the surface flies but out of curiosity, does anyone fish these with intermediate or faster sinking lines to explore depth levels ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2015 at 08:07 »
....but out of curiosity, does anyone fish these with intermediate or faster sinking lines to explore depth levels ?

Yup  :wink

As you'll be passing us on the way up the road to Assynt Marc, you'd best stop by for a bite to eat and a chat about such things :z17

H :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2015 at 08:35 »
thanks, i have all those and a lot more standard loch flies already packed.  :z16
these are all pretty much on or near the surface flies but out of curiosity, does anyone fish these with intermediate or faster sinking lines to explore depth levels ?

Yup can be productive but I've always found working bob flies or dries to be much better.  This time of year many fish will obviously be gravitating towards the burns or shallows in readiness for the 'Big Party'  :z4
Flies with red in them can really draw fish (I put a scarlet red hackle on my soldier palmer's and  GB4 mixed in the tail for added attitude) also found Hogs in all depths to be very effective.

Short Lining bushy flies (especially Hogs) in rolling waves rules supreme this time of year and fish are understandably aggressive so takes are often both savage and memorable especially to a moving fly.

That said if you get settled weather you stand a chance at some of the finest dry fly fishing you can find with the usual small n black (emergers and hoppers) high on the menu.  Assynt burns can be great for a wee bit of exploration and I've always found the big east end Assynt waters of the Upper Kirkaig system (Borralan, Urigill, Cama, Veyatie and Fionn, and satellite waters) to be amongst the best of the best with regard to quality fishing.  Boat better than bank, keeping within no more than two boat lengths off the bank on the big dramatic rocky venues (Veyatie and Cama top end) or open drifts on Borralan, Urigill and bottom (boat end) of Cama.  If you've a float tube then even better although it's a long hike back again if the wind picks up.

Hope this helps Marc, you'll have a blast  :z16

PS if i'm very lucky I might get a wee last min.com visit to the Crask in central Sutherland the week after (real end of season stuff) joining a group of mad troot nuts on our annual season end liver bash, depends on work though.  Fishing can and often is immense, fish stunning in spawning clothes, scenery spectacular, colours amazing, weather dramatic and generally a backdrop soundtrack of wind, rain and rutting stags, not hard to see why I love fishing the wilds at the end of the season  :z16 :z16 :z18   

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2015 at 10:05 »

As you'll be passing us on the way up the road to Assynt Marc, you'd best stop by for a bite to eat and a chat about such things :z17

H :cool:
Al's the driver but i'll for sure try to convince him there's something very urgent to do at your house !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2015 at 10:09 »
Allan, that's awesome info. really appreciate it and hope you too have a blast !  :z16 :z16 :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 03/09/2015 at 19:51 »
All I can offer is to have plenty of Bob Wyatts Deer Hair Sedges in your box

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 04/09/2015 at 08:47 »
thanks Peter  :z16  size range please ?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 04/09/2015 at 11:51 »
If You get on Veyatie , don't Ignore Loch Mhadail, it's really worth a punt, we took the boat over the sandbar and had a brilliant fishing,, also above that is a loch Known as the whale well worth  a fish , also remember it's daddy long legs time, hope you have a brilliant time  easgach 1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 04/09/2015 at 20:21 »
the lunch time weather forecast was for sleet and snow on the high ground, Ouch! easgach 1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 05/09/2015 at 11:19 »
OUCH indeed !  :z4 :z4 :z4
thanks for the info  :z16
cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 05/09/2015 at 11:52 »
........... and my local post office put out their Christmas Card stock yesterday :z4

I saw people buying Christmas cards there today :X1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #13 on: 05/09/2015 at 12:29 »
thanks Peter  :z16  size range please ?

Size 10 that's it  :z12

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 05/09/2015 at 12:35 »
 :z16 :z18 :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com