Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Saltwater flylines for Scotland
« on: 30/08/2015 at 17:09 »
Here's a question for the saltwater/pike guys out there.

I'm needing an 8wt fly line for pollock fishing off the rocks in Scotland, so it needs to be a coldwater spec line.
I'll be casting clousers and the like and presume i'll be needing to get a bit of distance. I guess it needs to be a sinking line or at least a 30ft sinking tip/head flyline. The blank i'm building takes a 202-218 grain window and yes it is Glass :z12 So i would imagine it will handle a fair bit above that, up to about 250gr.

I've done plenty Warm saltwater flyfishing and really love the Rio Tropical I/I line but have no real experience of doing it at home, this needs to change.

Any help much appreciated :z18

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: Saltwater flylines for Scotland
« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2015 at 18:06 »
Airflo - there's plenty of choice and I have found all their coldwater stuff to be excellent.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Saltwater flylines for Scotland
« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2015 at 08:05 »
I learnt my lesson regarding expensive lines and Pollock!!! Nothing worse than having a Pollock dive and your £60 fly line coming back ripped to shreds and fit for the bin!! Talking from experience....

I swear by the Airflo XT Cold Striper Saltwater and the Airflo 40+ XT Cold Saltwaters . (The ridge ones cut your fingers so wear a stripping glove).

I only get these through Tacklebargins as they are much cheaper (£15) and you often get unboxed ones for a fraction of the cost of a new one (£8). Never had a bad one yet.

The new Sniper (as opposed to the new Ridge Striper) lines are super heavy headed lines that I use for Pike, but personally I think these are too heavy handed for Pollock flies that are much led wind resistant than 6/0 Pike flies.

These Airflos have performed really well for me and I have been impressed with the 40+ in Di7.

As for distance, nope, the fish are close to the rocks. I will often cast along the rocks rather than out to sea. Most hits come as the fly sweeps up the rock face.

I have used Rio Outbounds in the past, and they cast a bit better, but the risk of shredding is too great for someone of my means!

One last thing...as your running line gets damaged (it will eventually),  cut it back and turn the line into a shooting head. You get a bit more use out of it then.

Hope that gives you some ideas...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com