Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Robert McKeon

Practical Fly-Tyer and T.R. Henn- author
« on: 27/08/2015 at 18:42 »
I'm finding myself getting back to tying flies and challenging myself tying flies- sans vise.
I ran across the book, "Practical Fly-Tyer," by T.R. Henn. I'd like to obtain, if possible, any information about the author and his background related to just this book he authored. Can't find much pertaining to his tying, or fly fishing. I fond his book well done regarding tying, and in particular, when published in 1950.
Also like to know who, on your side of the pond, ties flies within the hand. :z4
Thank you.
(Phoenix, AZ - USA Old Fly Tyer) :z12

Derek Roxborough

Re: Practical Fly-Tyer and T.R. Henn- author
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2015 at 20:56 »
Hi Grey Hair, look also at Eric Taverners Book Tying Flies For Trout,published in 1946, easgach 1

Mike Thornton

Re: Practical Fly-Tyer and T.R. Henn- author
« Reply #2 on: 28/08/2015 at 16:25 »
I also have a copy of T. R. Henn's book and started tying flies using his hand held methods in the late nineteen sixties.
 On the inside of the cover, the Trout  and Salmon magazine make the following comments.
  " A first-rate book.  Brigadier Henn has done what several people have tried to do without succeeding ; he has written a book on fly-tying which avoids being dogmatic, is not afraid of mild heresies, is thoroughly instructive and clear, and is at the same time readable and garnished with clear and delightful illustrations."
   It is a pity that the same cannot be said for much of the "hoo-ha" we seem to get hit with nowadays.  It makes you wonder how anyone managed to catch any fish in the past.  The simple answer could be  that there was more of them then.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com