Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Klonker of a Grayling!
« on: 27/08/2015 at 07:27 »
Caught recently in the UK! Thought to be from a Southern chalk stream although a few are saying the Tweed now.

Stunning fish!!

Hamish Young

Re: Klonker of a Grayling!
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2015 at 08:00 »
That really is a lunking great grayling  :shock Bonnie, bonnie looking fish.

H

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2015 at 08:49 »
Stonker bet it got the heart thumping playing that one.  :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2015 at 10:48 »
Ooofff!!

Lovely pic. too.

Nice to see a big grayling being supported by two hands in the water for a change.  :z16

W.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2015 at 11:42 »
Only thing I can find out about it is that its a UK fish, UK angler and was taken on a nymph (Czech I guess by the rod and line).

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2015 at 20:54 »
Heart stopper right enough,what would that weigh? 5 or 6lb?that is some grayling easgach 1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2015 at 08:53 »
Grayling often look bigger than they are although no denying this is a monster which i'd put a good four plus onto if guessing weight especially with the size of those shoulders.

Looks like Euro Nymph rob and well done on the angler not giving anything away regarding location (I won't give my suspicions either  :wink)

Bet it was a real handful to land, biggest grayling I ever caught was three plus and took me ages, as well as heart in mouth stuff.
And i'm no tellin where that was either  :z4 :z4

Skyeman

« Reply #7 on: 28/08/2015 at 13:55 »
  Its no problem giving fishing locations.....almost everyone is C&R.  :z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 29/08/2015 at 12:35 »
i and just about anyone on this forum will completely disagree. it is a very big problem giving away fishing locations to the general public, regardless whether people fish c&k or c&r.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 29/08/2015 at 19:02 »
Now here's me thinking that Grayling just look as big as they  are  :X1 easgach 1

Skyeman

« Reply #10 on: 30/08/2015 at 00:35 »
i and just about anyone on this forum will completely disagree. it is a very big problem giving away fishing locations to the general public, regardless whether people fish c&k or c&r.

Why? Theres only two rods max allowed on that beat per day and its not cheap. If you want to fish it you book it, you have as much chance as anybody else.... everything is C@R.

But if everyone wants to be secretive thats their choice I suppose.  :z14

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 30/08/2015 at 06:55 »
Why?

Fairly simple really, this is an open forum, so there may be 20-30 regular members on line, reading the post, there are also 3-400 other people also reading the post, who are they? some may be anglers who are interested but don't want to join the forum and there will, without doubt, be a good number of people who are just looking for information that they can go and use to catch the fish by any means possible to feed themselves or make money.
Unfortunately the world has a lot of unscrupulous people in it as well as all the ones who play by the rules.
So there may just be two paying rods allowed, but how can you be sure you haven't just told a bunch of poachers where there is a pod of good fish, so  you pay your money and go to fish for them and some bastard has dragged them all out over night.

I'm sorry if I sound condescending but most people on the forum have no issues about discussing spots or areas on a one to one basis, what there is a problem with, is advertising them on an open forum where you cannot be sure the people will treat the information with the respect it deserves.

I hope that clarifies the reasons :z18

Cheers

Sandy

ps. its a fabulous fish, thanks for posting the pictures Rob :z16

Skyeman

« Reply #12 on: 30/08/2015 at 09:59 »
 Fair enough. I just see all beats as bookable..... start at the top, finish at the bottom or vice versa, and fish all the water.  Put all fish back and they live to be caught by the next guy, even the next day. If you want to catch a nice grayling just give them a shout and you'll get a day amd probably wont see anyone else.

Is it poachers or fish kill people are worried about? Surely most "good" beats are looked after to a degree. Isn't there still some sort of protection order on the Don for example?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 30/08/2015 at 10:26 »
You could be right, there may be Special forces equipped   :z5 armed guards with NVG equipment  :z5 every 100yds on all our waters,  :z5  if they are doing their job right you would never know they were there :z5 and all the fish will safe  :z3

:z5 I do so hope this is true :z5

Sandy :wink

Skyeman

« Reply #14 on: 30/08/2015 at 10:29 »
 I honestly didn't think waters were that abused in the North East these days?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com