Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Don Seasons
« on: 05/10/2007 at 19:38 »
I wondered how many members of this forum would advocate a shortening of the fishing season on the don to say June thru to October.  I feel this would allow the Spring run (whats left of it) and the Kelts, safe passage to their respective destinations.

What do you all think?

Paul Rankine

Re: Don Seasons
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2007 at 23:08 »
HI Art,
           Don't see the problem . Perhaps you could elucidate ?

Paul.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2007 at 23:44 »
I think it's a bad idea to be honest - extending the current voluntary code to compulsory might make more sense IMHO  :z17

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2007 at 00:39 »
I think it's a bad idea to be honest - extending the current voluntary code to compulsory might make more sense IMHO  :z17

Yes, I think I would agree with that Hamish :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

sharpie

« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2007 at 11:18 »
tbh if you were to make it from june to october then you would have all the trouters pulling them in and not returning them.

monsterfish

« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2007 at 14:44 »
Sorry arty i agree with hamish on this one. Are you new to fishing?

« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2007 at 15:33 »
No been fishing for 19 years Colin.  i agree the best solution would be to make the voluntary code compulsory. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2007 at 22:58 »
tbh if you were to make it from june to october then you would have all the trouters pulling them in and not returning them.

...........?  :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/2007 at 07:12 »
Mike

funny thats what i was thinking :z8

Still i'll hold ranks with the big man too, but i thought the voluntary code should have compulsary from the start, if certain associations hadn't paniked at the thought that some of the members would run because they couldn't keep their fish then it probably would have been :z10 

Anyway my feelings on this were well documented at the time so i won't go there :z7

Sandy

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2007 at 09:49 »
I'm with Hamsih and Sandy on this one.  Make the code compulsory. 

As for the trouters pulling them in and not returning them, I must have been fishing the wrong river all this time asI have not seen that.  Better turn myself in to which every fishery board I need to as I'm sure it was the Don I was fishing!   :oops

I guess if salmon fishers do not return the fish to spawn and the runs are already poor it could go the same way as some of the East Coast US rivers and a blanket ban on Atlantic Salmon fishing could be enforced until the stocks recover.   Drastic but it has helped a few rivers over there.  Saying that, the rod caught fish are a small number and other issues such as offshore netting, river water quality, forestation and its effects on run-off etc all need to be answered if the salmon runs are to be improved substantially.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com