Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

indianajones

Lochnagar, Loch Nan Eun and other remotes
« on: 31/07/2015 at 14:42 »
First post so, Hi everyone!

Looking for some (if any exists) information on fishing these remote waters in the Cairngorms. Any other which are similar to them would be good too.

Things like:

Permissions and costs,
Time to walk in,
Fish numbers etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been in the North East for almost 2 years now and have not been out enough. Time for an adventure!

Thanks!

rbreid

Re: Lochnagar, Loch Nan Eun and other remotes
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2015 at 17:30 »
Hi there, I,m new to the forum but will do an intro later. Saw your enquiry and as I've fished most of the lochs in that area thought I'd pass on what I learned. Loch nan Eun, long walk in, quite steep prior to the loch itself. Worth the walk though. Used to camp overnight to make the walk worthwhile. Despite its high altitude there is a good head of trout 1/2 to 3/4 trout. Kate McLaren, Mallard and Green, Mallard and Claret. Very occasional larger fish. Permit from Invercauld  Estate Office in Braemar. Lochnagar is a very acid loch with resulting very small trout. Loch Vrotachan holds the largest trout of the lochs in the region with several 2 lb fish taken every year. Invercauld Estate for permit or Ballater Angling club who manage the loch and have a very nice fishing hut there. Loch Beannie is another Invercauld Estate water worth a cast. Loch Callater is a very good water for pike on the fly but no trout to speak of. Hope this helps.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2015 at 18:58 »
Agree with RBreid. I too have fished all of these lochs for many years. Iain Cameron and soundmixer Euan and I have fished Beanie a couple of times recently and had great fun with trout in the 12 oz to pound mark.

Eddie  :z18

indianajones

« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2015 at 20:24 »
Hi there, I,m new to the forum but will do an intro later. Saw your enquiry and as I've fished most of the lochs in that area thought I'd pass on what I learned. Loch nan Eun, long walk in, quite steep prior to the loch itself. Worth the walk though. Used to camp overnight to make the walk worthwhile. Despite its high altitude there is a good head of trout 1/2 to 3/4 trout. Kate McLaren, Mallard and Green, Mallard and Claret. Very occasional larger fish. Permit from Invercauld  Estate Office in Braemar. Lochnagar is a very acid loch with resulting very small trout. Loch Vrotachan holds the largest trout of the lochs in the region with several 2 lb fish taken every year. Invercauld Estate for permit or Ballater Angling club who manage the loch and have a very nice fishing hut there. Loch Beannie is another Invercauld Estate water worth a cast. Loch Callater is a very good water for pike on the fly but no trout to speak of. Hope this helps.

That is a heap of fantastic information that I didn't expect to get! Thanks a lot! I'll be getting in touch with Invercauld once i've sorted out some holidays from work.

Looking at the OS maps there is a good few other lochs around this area such as Sandy Loch, Dubh Loch and Loch Buidhe. Do you know anything about fishing these waters?

Fully excited to get up there now!

Agree with RBreid. I too have fished all of these lochs for many years. Iain Cameron and soundmixer Euan and I have fished Beanie a couple of times recently and had great fun with trout in the 12 oz to pound mark.

Eddie  :z18

Unfortunately Beanie, Callater and Vrotachan will probably have to wait due to being that little bit further away. Hopefully (if all goes well) will be moving to Aboyne within the next month so will have a decent base to get places. Any other recommendations around the Aboyne area? I hear Tanar is meant to be pretty good.

rbreid

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2015 at 22:37 »
Pronie loch is well worth a cast from bank or boat. Can be difficult fishing but rewards hard work. Too many years since I last fished it but permit details should be online if you search. Good chance of observing a master fisher at Pronie. . . . that will be an Osprey ;-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2015 at 22:53 »
Tanar is worth a cast for sure. Clear, good trout Rainbow and Brown, excellent scenery, good wildlife.
Big 'bows on light line are GOOD fun!

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com