Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

hook sharpening
« on: 03/10/2007 at 12:07 »
quick question -- how many of you actually (re-)sharpen your fly hooks?

2nd question -- anyone recommend a favourite/reliable brand of hook sharpener?

cheers
iain

Re: hook sharpening
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2007 at 17:35 »
I generally do it in the Winter before putting the boxes away for hibernation, afraid i can't recommend one as the one i use is my fathers and is too worn to distinguish the maker.  this is definately a worthwhile task.

Chris

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2007 at 17:45 »
Trout hooks - never. I just tie on a new fly. I need some justification for tying more flies all winter. :z4 and it is another  six months until the wild brown trout season opens again  :z6

Salmon hooks - occasionally when I have caught a stone. I have a ceramic sharpener which I got mail order from Sportfish many moons ago. It's the only one I have ever had so I have no idea if it's any better or worse than any other type.

tight lines

Irvine

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2007 at 18:29 »
Never

monsterfish

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2007 at 18:46 »
nope dont waste your time

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2007 at 19:03 »
A few moments spent bringing the point of the hook back to sharpness is far better than losing a fish through neglegence.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 04/10/2007 at 17:10 »
not sharpening our hooks does mean that we can blame poor hookhold for our long distance catch & release incidents (rather than poor angling...) :-)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2007 at 14:35 »
I never sharpen hooks either, just use a new one.

A lot of hooks are treated or coated and chemically etched to make them sharp, so hand sharpening removes the coating and the hook may corrode.
I suppose it may depend on what type of hooks you use :z6

Sandy

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/2007 at 09:51 »
I own a sharpener and do use if it that fly is catching fish and I think it needs a better point but I usually tie on a new one if that is an option

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com