Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Thought's on taking dog's fishing
« on: 31/07/2015 at 03:53 »
Gents,

As i'll be moving back to Scotland on Monday  :cool: it's got me thinking about taking my dogs out fishing again. I used to do this a lot when I lived in Malaysia but due to the areas I was fishing there was never anybody else around so the dog's never posed an issue. Since moving to Singapore last year I have not been able to take them out with me due to their ridiculous ruling on them having to be leashed and muzzled at all times due to their breeds  :mad

Anyways as they have never been used to being at bankside whilst I am fishing, I will need to spend some time training them and will do this on the small rivers in Stonehaven (cowie and carron) first before taking them along with me to the likes of the Dee etc.

I just wondered what everybody's thoughts are about somebody having their dog's out with them when you are on the same beat as them? I would really like to have my dog's out with me as much as possible but at the same time would hate to think that I was spoiling somebody else's day out by doing so. Being's as they are not your typical lab or springer fishing/shooting breed i'm a little concerned that some folk might not feel comfortable with them being off the leash. They are however completely harmless but I don't suppose you can know that when you first see them.

Here's a picture of the last time they were out with the Wife and I. It was quite a good set up, my wife loved to paddle which allowed me to fish for Snakehead whilst she kept the yak cruising along the edges of the dam.  :z12  The only issue was stopping the dogs from chasing poppers...

:z18

Steven

Rob Brownfield

Re: Thought's on taking dog's fishing
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2015 at 07:38 »
I see dogs on the Dee all the time.

However, you get the ones that sit on the bank and watch there owners, never moving, good as gold, and you get the ones that are up and down the bank, in and out the water with the owner shouting at them the whole day.

I think you can guess which one would get my back up if I had paid £100 to fish and that was going on. :)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2015 at 10:43 »
hi Steven,
first off, A+ on being so considerate of other anglers  :z16

Rob's comment sums it up well. those that care enough and have taken the time to train their dogs to not interfere with other nature-goers get all my respect and makes sharing the day with dogs a treat.
the others should just leave the creatures at home as they're a real nuisance to all.
i get the feeling you'll take the first route  :wink  :z16
cheers,
marc

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2015 at 11:17 »
Great picture Stevie, I suspect that Alba and Urso will get the hang of behaving on the riverbank fairly quickly because they will have Emma to answer to and none of us are prepared to argue with Emma.

It would be a good idea to speak with Mutchie and take the dogs to his beat on Sundays for a few trial runs.

Eddie. :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2015 at 11:17 »
As a fellow dog owner I can't see a problem taking them with you BUT with the average person in this country instilled with fear by anything the government decides is "EVIL" you will probably get a lot of grief if you turn up with a "baby eating pitbull lookalike" and a "vicious" German Shepherd.
Until recently I had a Staffie that people used to run away from! Now she was the most chilled dog I have ever had but the perception was that all Staffies eat children so the abuse I used to get was unreal. Ask your dad what she was like as he met her a couple of times. Big soft lump!  :z4

Other than that I am sure that they will not be a problem. They do look relaxed on the canoe and they look like a lot of fun. I have met some pretty badly behaved Labs on some salmon rivers that should be shot as well as some owners that should also go that way so your two will be no problem.

I, on the other hand, cannot take my viscious beast anywhere near the river. The rakin' aboot little sh1t would be down every hole in sight and would be off worring otters, sheep, deer, crows and fish if I hooked one. Then she would mooch like a begger at lunchtime and moan if her bed wasn't there to lie in the sun.
It's the wee one not the big one,

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2015 at 13:44 »
Euan,

sorry to hear that you no longer have the staffie, she was a belter. The little one is nothing like as bad as you said, she merely has her own character and personality, most of which can described in the north east as thrawn.

Eddie. :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2015 at 14:04 »
most of which can described in the north east as thrawn.

PMSL!  :z4 :z4 :z4
Thrawn is EXACTLY the word! Followed by bu66er, sh1te, hoo-er etc... Patterdales are NOT fishing dogs but are more akin to Terminators.

Maggie ended up with a brain tumor and went downhill in three weeks until the fits became too much. Lost her sight and started to get spooked by everything, even Montrose beach of all places. She would have been 8 next month which is not right. :mad
It does prove one thing though. As you have no idea what will happen in life you better get out there and do what makes you happy as often as you can, whether that is chasing cats or chasing fish. :z12

:z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2015 at 16:09 »
I fish with a pal who takes his 2 spaniels with him but I make sure I am on the opposite side of the loch, I have seen rods chewed and fly lines demolished , not by these 2 but by others , I'm afraid I'm not a pet person, sorry    :z8   easgach 1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 31/07/2015 at 17:06 »
I allowed quite a few fishers to bring their dogs to Haddo over the years.

Some dogs became regulars :cool:  ...... and you wouldn't know that they were there, but others were an absolute pain. To be totally honest, as Rob said, this was as much to do with the owners as the dogs themselves!

Great topic by the way :z16

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 31/07/2015 at 17:38 »
Euan,

sorry about Maggie. I bet the wee black Tasmanian devil misses her. I agree with the comments, well behaved dogs are fine the rest need to stay at home, Steven and I managed to lose a spaniel pup on the Dee on her first attempt at fishing with us, we eventually found her asleep in a field. Fortunately she got with the whole cast and step thing  and would follow you down the beat after a few attitude adjustment therapy sessions.

About two years ago I posted a photo of the spaniel in question with Steven and his first springer on the fly. As I said if they behave it is great to have them with you but if there are other fishers then you need to respect their opinion if they don't want the dog on the beat.

Eddie.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 31/07/2015 at 18:11 »
Not a lot I can add, I'm in agreement with no problem as long as the dogs are well behaved.
I may have to retire soon due to the situation in the Oilfield and had planned to get a dog , so will be looking for some tips on the training Steven   :wink

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 31/07/2015 at 18:54 »
Jim,

what you need from Steven is to borrow his wife, she may be small but Stevens German Shepherd and Bull mastiff do not mess with her, give her your dog and it will behave.

Eddie. :X2 :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 31/07/2015 at 22:36 »
Jim,

what you need from Steven is to borrow his wife, she may be small but Stevens German Shepherd and Bull mastiff do not mess with her, give her your dog and it will behave.

Eddie. :X2 :z18
Somehow I do not see my wife letting me away with borrowing another woman   :z4

Cheers

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 31/07/2015 at 22:48 »
do not mess with her, give her your dog and it will behave.

I too have one of them...

Somehow I do not see my wife letting me away with borrowing another woman   :z4

That too, dammit!
My wife now does home boarding and the results are astounding with visiting dogs. She is a witch!

:z

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 01/08/2015 at 16:28 »
Thanks for all the responses folks! Just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I'll stick to taking them up "the burn" for a while until they get the idea. Euan hit the nail on the head with my real concern being their breeds (Alsatian and Bullmastiif) but like Euan's Staffie they really are the softest things going especially the Mastiff. I have a 1 year old daughter who takes great joy in pulling their lugs and generally just being a pest but they have never shown the slightest sign of aggression towards her. Granted as Dad has mentioned a lot of that could well be down to mini Hitler's ever watchful eye....

If you do happen to come across a bean pole and 2 lumps on the river please do stop and say hello. I'll either be with the dog's or my old man and one of his mates  :z7

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com