Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Nymphs
« on: 28/07/2015 at 16:01 »
These were meant to be my controller flies but I have been amazed at how effective they have been. Nymphing is starting to grow on me!

That's a 3.8 and a 3.3ml tungsten bead on a size 10 b100. It's seriously heavy and gets you down in the heaviest flows.

This one is slightly lighter with a 3.3 and  2.8ml tungsten bead on a size 12 b100.

Not being one to over complicate my fly box. I've found a PTN and Hares Ear in different colours and weights will do just fine. Along with the occasional Squirmy  :z7

:z18

Rob Brownfield

Re: Nymphs
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2015 at 08:13 »
I use a Czech style nymph as my "controller" with 2 and a half layers of flat lead strip and a tungsten bead. They take a lot of fish!

I need a beachcaster to chuck them though :)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2015 at 20:05 »
My girlfriend showed an interest tonight and asked to tie some flies.

2 Glister Bugs and a Frenchie.

Not bad for a first try, I'm sure they'll catch!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2015 at 08:32 »
they look as good or nicer than what a lot of 'seasoned veterans' tie... tell her she did a great job !  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2015 at 10:25 »
Liam,

if she continues to tie flies for you then she is a keeper.

P.S,

looks like she has bigger hands than you :X2

Eddie.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2015 at 19:15 »
I was wondering how long it would take for a hand joke   :z4

Her little Frenchie worked very well! It also held up pretty well!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 30/07/2015 at 19:53 »
Bonnie troot Liam. You set yourself up for the hand joke.

Eddie. :z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2015 at 03:57 »
You have a girlfriend with a keen interest in Nymphs? You've definitely scored there!  :z4

All jokes aside they look fishy to me and i'd certainly fish them with confidence! Don't suppose you want to teach my wife? She's quite keen to learn but is incapable of taking instruction or constructive criticism from me...

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 31/07/2015 at 07:46 »
She's quite keen to learn but is incapable of taking instruction or constructive criticism from me...

I find the same with mine when I am a passenger in her car. I think it is vital to ensure she is instructed every time she drives, in the name of road safety! ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com