Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

It just gets better
« on: 28/07/2015 at 08:21 »
After many years of not catching any tourists, for whatever reason, I had a fish off the Ness system a couple of months ago with Hamish. Well I was up North again at the end of last week, again with Mr Young, but on two new waters to me.
Friday saw us on the Upper Beauly, a river that I had only ever seen from the road. The Upper Beauly is between the Aigas dam and the junctions with the Farrar and the Glass.

The river was up and I don't mean a wee bit. Two and a half feet on the gauge! Wading was going to be deep...
We started on the pool well below the hut.

The water had a fair push to it and flies came round beautifully but never connected. After a spot of lunch we had a go in the Boat pool in front of the hut. Again the water was high and big flees and sinking tips were the order of the day. Hamish had a run through and then I had a go. I was doing this...

..when the line gave five little tugs and I lifted in to my second fish of the year.

Twenty minutes later and he was beached next to the rowing boat having been tailed by Hamish. No chance of any photos though as the fish was pretty keen on getting back in the water as soon as the hook was out and seemed happy enough.  :z16

We headed up to the junction after that but the heavens opened. The water push was pretty serious in this pool too and turning to come out gave me a shock as to how much of a push there really was.

With nothing doing in there we drove down to the lower section. Once again the water was high and serious wading was needed. Add in heavy rain and midges you look like this.

Stripped sunrays got some knocks but no lock ups. Tired but happy it was off to Beauly for a curry.

Next day we set off to the Alness. Rain had raised the river over night so fresh fish might have made it in to the system. Beat five looked like this, with the river up and dark. As it turned out, not up enough but still looking awesome. Single handers were the order of the day.

Fish were moving in but there were no takers. This is just about the start of the Alness season so things are looking promising for the rest of the season and I, we, look forward to going back.
Another excellent weekend and a fish to boot. Good times!

:z1

Mike Barrio

Re: It just gets better
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2015 at 08:34 »
Great stuff Euan :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2015 at 10:47 »
Euan,

well done. I am not in  the least bit jealous :X2 :X2

Eddie. :z16 :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2015 at 20:22 »
It was a fun couple of days and, to be honest, it shows that if you are prepared to travel at relatively short notice you can beat the odds and find fish where others fail :wink
Still annoyed about the dropped fish on the Alness - but that's fishing  :z7

Eddie - just come along next time you're home if you can afford the time, be more than welcome :z16

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2015 at 22:39 »
Eddie - just come along next time you're home if you can afford the time, be more than welcome
Now that sounds like a fun time  :z18 :z16

H is right. Short notice, drive up a warp speed, drams and then fishing is the way to do it. I am knackered this week because on the way back from Turkey on a job I was up for 44 hours, slept 8 and then went fishing. I do not require sympathy  :z4 :z4 :z4
I got what I came for  :z13
Fishing gypsies (not pikies, that is different...)

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2015 at 05:16 »
It was a fun couple of days and, to be honest, it shows that if you are prepared to travel at relatively short notice you can beat the odds and find fish where others fail :wink
Still annoyed about the dropped fish on the Alness - but that's fishing  :z7

Eddie - just come along next time you're home if you can afford the time, be more than welcome :z16

H

H,

I will be home late September early October depending on the arrival of our next grandchild. I will give you and Euan a shout to see if there is anywhere we can have a chuck.

Eddie. :z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 29/07/2015 at 08:31 »
H,

I will be home late September early October depending on the arrival of our next grandchild. I will give you and Euan a shout to see if there is anywhere we can have a chuck.

Eddie. :z18

If I'm not in Russian is there room for a young un? The new fishing wagon is being collected today so I can do the driving duties and leave the whisky to you?

Cheers,

Steven.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 29/07/2015 at 12:27 »
Stevie,

sounds like a plan. :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com