Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Hall

Tippet rings
« on: 25/07/2015 at 23:48 »
I've  been playing around with making my own tapered leaders, and wondered what everyone's views are on tippet rings (for connecting the end of the leader to the tipper only).  I've read they can cause hinging but would appreciate any advice.
Cheers
Simon

Marc Fauvet

Re: Tippet rings New
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2015 at 09:46 »
a fair bet the one who wrote about them 'hinging'
a) doesn't like the idea of a ringed connection out of what ? traditionalism ?
b) probably has never tried them and is just repeating uninformed forum talk.
c) can't tie and/or seat a knot for shit...
d) has SuperMan-type vision to be able to pinpoint the exact spot of the the very unlikely hinge.
 :X2

they're a very nice accessory and have proven more helpful over the years than unhelpful.
here's a little more info on them with a really cool video from Tim Flagler.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Liam Stephen

Re: Tippet rings
« Reply #2 on: 26/07/2015 at 10:33 »
I use them when I'm being lazy and have never had any issues with them. Also handy if like me you get super lazy and fancy adding another fly , simply just tie a tag onto the ring and add the  fly.

:z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 27/07/2015 at 00:50 »
I use them frequently as I'm a nightmare for chopping and changing flies every 5 minutes.

Never had an issue with hinging and as Liam has mentioned the make adding droppers a swift affair.

Cheers,

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2015 at 07:26 »
Only issue I have had is that some rings on the market are flat sectioned and so they have a harsh edge to them that cuts leaders.

As for hinging, nope, cannot happen if two knots are used.

Simon Hall

« Reply #5 on: 27/07/2015 at 09:41 »
Thanks for the clarification guys, much appreciated and the advice I was looking for!  Pack of 10 now ordered and on their way!
Cheers again  :z16
Simon

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2015 at 13:30 »
Thanks for the clarification guys, much appreciated and the advice I was looking for!  Pack of 10 now ordered and on their way!
Cheers again  :z16
Simon

Great stuff! Just remember to tie your leader onto the ring BEFORE you remove the ring from the clip. If not they are a nightmare to work with and if dropped will vanish off the face of the earth.

:z18

Steven.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 30/07/2015 at 10:55 »
Been using them for years now as a fixed point at the end of my tapered leader and simply attach my desired tippet directly onto the ring.  As long a leader as I can handle for a single dry, or around a foot to first fly if fishing a 'team',

Simple and easy to use, no hinging issues and very strong.  There are types that are more a round cross section if you feel the 'flat' type might cause breakages, however I've used both and have only had one cause a problem (trophy troot lost with a breakage, on inspection the ring had been damaged, probably hit off a stone, and had a tiny sharp edge on it)

One thing you will certainly get though (very very occasionally) is fish taking them, I think they might hone into any flash given off?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 31/07/2015 at 07:44 »
With reference to fish taking the rings, the ones I have used are made for the carp market and are a dull, grey/green colour that does not flash and glint in the sun.

They also do different shapes. The ones far right are ideal for adding droppers to.

Simon Hall

« Reply #9 on: 31/07/2015 at 09:34 »
Thanks for the info Rob - I've ordered a set of Riverge rings as they have a round profile, but I like the look of the teardrop type.  If the silver ones attract fish as Dryflee suggests, I might tie a hook on it - I need all the help I can get! :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 31/07/2015 at 12:24 »
Thanks for the info Rob - I've ordered a set of Riverge rings as they have a round profile, but I like the look of the teardrop type.  If the silver ones attract fish as Dryflee suggests, I might tie a hook on it - I need all the help I can get! :z4

Sye, you need these, again from the Carpers realm..already rigged for you ;)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 02/08/2015 at 21:47 »
I use these on a 3 fly  wet cast, easy to replace droppers when they get too short, like the man says don't drop them,
easgach 1

Simon Hall

« Reply #12 on: 03/08/2015 at 09:23 »
They arrived on Friday, and deary me they're small!  Now booked in to the opticians! :wink

« Reply #13 on: 04/08/2015 at 11:31 »
Aye have found the 3mm riverge rings really good if a tad fiddly. I would struggle going any smaller then em.

I use a gryp knot tool we em nae breakages so far. :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com