Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Building a rod/fly tying room in a workshop
« on: 21/07/2015 at 08:58 »
If say, you had just bought a house that had a very large workshop, say big enough to get 6-8 cars into, which happened to have 2 extremely large windows on both sides and you wanted to turn part of that workshop into a rod/fly tying room, how would you go about it??

One end has double garage doors and a normal door on the side, the other end is a wall. It is the same height as the house (bungalow) with an open roof, so no ceiling, just exposed rafters and no insulation. The workshop is of a block construction.

We will be putting in a wood burning stove so the whole space can be heated when building the Landies/vintage scooters/Bikes etc but I want to have an area where I can close it of, heat separately and keep dust free.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of a wooden "shell" built inside so it incorporates one of the large picture windows. Sort of half a port-a-cabin??? The plan would be to have a solid roof to it with steps to act as a storage area above the "fishing" room. A small heater would keep me toasty when Cass has kicked me out the main house!!

Any ideas would be appreciated, especially with "must haves and man cave ideas".

Hamish Young

Re: Building a rod/fly tying room in a workshop
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2015 at 20:59 »
Tell you what Rob, I'm going to be doing something similar with my steading fairly soon (without the garage space, unfortunately) so why not come and give me a hand for a weekend and see if what I'm doing is what you need. If it is I'll offer a fair exchange of labour......

:z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2015 at 08:15 »
Tell you what Rob, I'm going to be doing something similar with my steading fairly soon (without the garage space, unfortunately) so why not come and give me a hand for a weekend and see if what I'm doing is what you need. If it is I'll offer a fair exchange of labour......

:z13

Hmmmm...cunning!!  Do you know if you need planning permission for something like this?

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2015 at 08:38 »
My interpretation of Highland Council planning rules says I do not  :z7 Aberdeenshire Council may have different planning rules of course  :z6
Generally, provided the aspect of the building doesn't change - especially roof line - then you should be fine, internal modifications are just that - internal. It's not change of use, just an improvement to the building to make it fit for your purpose.

The internal shell should work fine, IMHO you want to be buying lots and lots of kingspan now :wink

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2015 at 12:27 »
The internal shell should work fine, IMHO you want to be buying lots and lots of kingspan now :wink

I am sure Cass will insist on me using fleece, human hair, angel wings or any other form of naturally occurring substance to insulate it with!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 22/07/2015 at 12:37 »
Also found this, which was a bit of an inspiration...only took 8 minutes to build ;)

Mark Zhang

« Reply #6 on: 23/07/2015 at 15:43 »
Hi Rod,

I'd prefer to use the whole room for a fishing library. Your favorate pictures, flies, rods and whatever you like on the wall, desk in the corner, stove burns, etc. That's my dream. If I have that room one day, I'm probably a single man again unless something dramatic happens.  :cry . Good luck to your new fishing room.

Regards,

Mark

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 24/07/2015 at 11:08 »
Hi Rod,

I'd prefer to use the whole room for a fishing library. Your favorate pictures, flies, rods and whatever you like on the wall, desk in the corner, stove burns, etc. That's my dream. If I have that room one day, I'm probably a single man again unless something dramatic happens.  :cry . Good luck to your new fishing room.

Regards,

Mark

The garage and workshop is not far off the size of the house, so if I turned the whole place into a "fishing man cave" I would be in serious trouble!!! besides, I need space for the restoration projects :)

I already have a spot indoors set aside for the library/pictures/reels on display etc. :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com