Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Reels for Switch rods
« on: 15/07/2015 at 04:47 »
Gents,

As I will be moving back to god's country at the end of the month I am looking at getting a cheap shakespeare 7/8 switch rod  to play around with and it got me wondering what sized reels you would normally put onto such a rod?

I will only be using it as a low water summer salmon/grilse rod and as such I don't foresee it ever really being used single handed Infact the only reason I can see it being used over head is to bang a line out for seatrout in the bay at Stonehaven. With this in mind I have it in my head that I should really fish a smaller salmon sized reel with it has opposed to one of my trout reels.

The two reels I have been thinking of using are either my Nautilus FWX 7/8 (fairly light) or my Abel Super 10 (fairly heavy) but cant help but think that one is too small and the other too big and I have nothing in between these sizes (at the minute...)

Any thoughts?

:z18

Steven

Hamish Young

Re: Reels for Switch rods
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2015 at 07:39 »
You are probably right on the sizing Steven, depending on weight of line it might be a bit tight getting a Switch line on the Nautilus and a wee bit of overkill with the space on the Abel.
That said you'd probably be best waiting to see what balances the rod you buy; I tend to look at Switch rods as small double handers and I'd suggest that you consider looking at a reel that's at the small end of the double hander reel size - so an Orvis Hydros V, an Abel Switch and so on. Abel Switch looks nice......  :X2 Plenty of choice out there though - go treat yourself  :z7

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2015 at 08:41 »
hi Steven,
size is size...  :z4 but what really counts here, just as with any other double-hander is the reel's weight to balance the whole lot well between top and bottom hand. i'd wait till you get the rod first, try out the reels you already have (the Nautilus will feel awful as you'll have to constantly work on pulling the rod tip up) and figure it out from there.
try to borrow some reels from mates to get a general weight range to use as reference before you buy.
cheers,
marc

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2015 at 08:53 »
H,

it is Stevens birthday next week so I have a feeling that this reel may be funded from the bank of dad. At least he wont get anything that he doesn't want or need.

Eddie. :X2

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2015 at 10:03 »
H,

it is Stevens birthday next week so I have a feeling that this reel may be funded from the bank of dad. At least he wont get anything that he doesn't want or need.

I'm not going to say that I am against this suggestion :z12

That Abel sure does look pretty... :z7

Cheers,

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2015 at 13:29 »
I use a Orvis Mach IV for my Helios 7 weight Switch.  Seems to balance nicely and takes the line nicely.

The Hydros V is a bit too big so I now used on my 12' 6" Scandi rod.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2015 at 21:29 »
H,

Ah ha.....  :z16
I'm not going to say that I am against this suggestion :z12

That Abel sure does look pretty... :z7

Cheers,

Steven.

Nice reel that.... be a decent present I have to say  :z13

H

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2015 at 22:22 »
Eddie,
Do you want to be my Dad......?  :z7

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 16/07/2015 at 15:48 »
Steven

Have a look at these if you are spending money, superb quality and at the current exchange rates, cracking value.
Ash is great to deal with :z16 might even be easier to ship to where you are just now.

http://www.harfinflyreels.com/
 :z18
Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 17/07/2015 at 17:40 »
Sandy, they look very nice indeed and I have not ordered the Able for Stevie yet so I will wait for him to check this out.

P.S,

Mr Soundmixer,

I know how old you are I would have had to start my sex life way before puberty to be your dad. I know that I am old but you are not that far behind.

:X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com