Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

On the Beauly
« on: 10/07/2015 at 21:47 »
Had a wander out on a different part of the Beauly today with fellow Beauly Angling Club member Jim.
Been a tad damp of late and the big water wasn't much of a help to the cause. The morning was a slog with a couple of kamikaze Brownies to my rod and nowt else but, as I worked a stripped Sunray (well, I had to.... you know :? :!) down a promising looking pool in the late afternoon, I moved a nice Salmon before a Brownie of about a pound grabbed the fly a split second later on the very same cast. This piqued my interest as I've seen before that many Salmon that have moved to a stripped fly can be persuaded to take something fished more traditionally a short time later.

I knew Jim hadn't had a fish yet this year so I legged it upstream and brought him down to fish through the same pool with a more conventional fly...... it worked:

Turned out to be a really nice fish around the 7lb mark:

Which was, of course, safely returned:

Tally for the day was 1 Salmon to Jim and in the end about 20 Brownies of various sizes to me. I will be investigating the Brownie fishing on this stretch soon.....hopefully.

:cool:

Jim Eddie

Re: On the Beauly
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2015 at 22:48 »
Looks like a nice stretch of water Hamish

:z18

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2015 at 07:32 »
Nice fish H, and well done for putting your mate on to it.

Eddie. :z16

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2015 at 11:11 »
Lovely looking bit of water Hamish.

I know of a certain Edfish who shares the same theory.

He used to get me to fish the biggest Toby  I had through the beat before he'd come through behind me with the fly.

This usually resulted in me catching bugger all only for him to pick them up behind me...

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2015 at 12:49 »
Nice one H.  :z14
I'll be up soon....  :z4

This usually resulted in me catching bugger all only for him to pick them up behind me...
I know an Edfish like that too... :z7

When you back in Scotland Eddie? And can you bring some salmon for the Dee with you?

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2015 at 17:46 »
Nice one H.  :z14
I'll be up soon....  :z4

Few fish about bud so probably worthwhile  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 12/07/2015 at 04:38 »
Steven,

I cant believe that you would think that your father would do that deliberately  :X2

Ewan I may be home at the end of September depending on the arrival of grandchild number 2. I will try and organize some salmon for us both and will give you a shout nearer the time.

Eddie. :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 12/07/2015 at 10:40 »
Eddie,
I was sure it was september but Roy was convinced that it was August. Floating Bank looked great on Friday night but only the broonies came out to play. They were big broonies though.  :z16

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 12/07/2015 at 13:35 »
Ewan,

wait till next spring when the Grannom hatch is on there are some stonking troot in that pool. I know that we are supposed to be salmon fishing but at lunchtime I cannot help throwing dry flies at them, although I did have an awful lot of fun with a kelt on the trout rod in there once. By the time I landed it I had missed most of the hatch.

Eddie. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com