Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

"Golf driving range"  ......... Would it work for youngsters for fly fishing?
Distance casting and target practice casting maybe  :z8

I think it might be good fun, especially if they were to use wool to avoid the dangers of hooks  :?

What do you think?
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Sandy Nelson

Re: Fly fishing version of the golf driving range?
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2007 at 09:38 »
Great idea for youngsters of all ages :z4

I've got one in my garden now, but its not big enough, great for targets though.
I know the casters like to practice as much as possible, but i find hitting targets much more fun. Going to the park can be good but curiosity can be a pain after a while.

So how do you propose to make it work, bearing in mind that part of the appeal of the driving range is you are under cover, so you can be "playing golf" without getting wet on a day when the course doesn't appeal.Casting like this would be difficult however i do think a small casting range, with targets and a long straight for pushing marked distances would be a great idea and something most people would go and have a play on for half an hour.

Could be another insightive first :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2007 at 10:55 »
Well done Sandy, you've got the idea  :cool:

This is maybe something that Magnus could give us a few pointers with, I think he's been along to some of the Paul Arden type "shootouts" and I think it would be a good idea to attempt to do something that could possibly lead on to that kind of thing?

Peter might also have some ideas? Especially with his involvement with the "snap" junior angler initiative.

Might possibly also be a good idea to adopt some type of standard, for example using 5wt fly rods, so that achievement levels would be on an even playing field?

The "casting range" could simply be used for practice with any rod etc, but it could also be used to monitor achieving certain levels ............ like a 20yd certificate or something?

Hmmm, lots of ideas :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2007 at 11:00 »
All of this ....... learning to cast a reasonable distance with confidence and safety, plus the ability to land your piece of wool in a hoop at 15 yds etc etc ......... is bound to improve their chances of catching a trout when they are fishing  :wink

I think the idea has possibilities :cool:
Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2007 at 14:35 »
You might have problems if its undercover Mike, I use the schools assembly hall, its a high ceiling 20' + and theres a problem with catchups. Also you would need a fair distance behind for a backcast as well as a forward.

I'm not trying to be negative, it sounds a great idea, just pointing out a couple of problems I've encountered

Peter

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:02 »
Hi Peter

I hadn't really been thinking about under cover to be honest. I'm not thinking of this for Haddo either, I doubt I would manage to find enough space, I just had the idea and thought it might be a great way to help with making the sport appealing to youngsters  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:04 »
Been thinking more about it today and I guess a set up like this would probably need a piece of grass about the size of a cricket pitch?

Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:07 »
Now i'm stumped :z6

Mike Barrio

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:19 »
You caught me at silly mid off.
 :roll

However most golf driving ranges have an attached shop, you have to negotiate all the cool looking expensive stuff to pay a fiver to torture some little white balls. They've got this thing sussed :z7
I'd reckon if a shop had the space to create a useful casting area and implemented the idea, it would catch on. I would guess Lochter or Insch would be the ideal places.

Stop for Tea, can't seem to hit the fish today, just not with it, then go have a few practice casts, iron out whats wrong with no fear of scaring the fish or looking stoopid in front of others :z6, then back to fishing with renewed confidence.
Trying out new tackle , great
Just have time for a few casts, but need to get on water, go have a play for half an hour.
Want to join the 100ft club, regular practice helps.
Kids can learn without feeling people are watching their mistakes, so can adults :wink

All in its a great idea, just who has the space and the inclination to implement it?.
I dont think its cost effective for anyone as a stand alone entity, but affiliated to a fishery or shop or both it would be an interesting addition that would make somewhere a little bit different. One for someone to think about :z17

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:46 »
Yes, I agree Sandy  :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #11 on: 01/10/2007 at 22:55 »
Thing is it wouldn't need to be as big an area as a golf driving range, the local montrose ione is huge compared to what we would need, unless you had Hywal Morgan or some such casting. I'm surprised some of the bigger tackle shops don't have them, s'pose sportfish do & GAC have a car park

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 01/10/2007 at 23:03 »
I am thinking along the terms of "lanes" with cross markers to measure distance ....... Hmmm, yes a bit like you would use for javelin throwing?

Say 30yds (maybe 40 :shock) in front of you and about 20 to 25 behind?

Mike

« Reply #13 on: 03/10/2007 at 19:07 »
I like the concept and i'm sure it would work well with a purpose built tackle shop etc and instructor.  The distance/target competitions always prove popular at any of the game fairs i have attended. 

Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 04/10/2007 at 10:03 »
Great concept, but what stops them going into the garden like i do?  :z4

when I played a lot of golf I struggled to find an area big enough to hit golf balls around in..and then you had to go and pick them all up again. With the fly casting I just stood in one spot! :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com