Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flyloon

River don beats identification
« on: 08/07/2015 at 20:24 »
Hi this is my second session fishing on river don on  Inverurie burgh fishing permit could some one tell me how to identify the fishing pool called the kypie as I don't want to be out with my permit but like to go further upstream and be able to be fish the limt of distance on my permit and maybe get some quite wading spots away from the dog walkers thanks 

Mike Barrio

Re: River don beats identification
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2015 at 11:00 »
Hi 'flyloon'

I haven't fished Inverurie for a while, but the beat map is quite easy to follow.  Once you are at the top hut slightly upstream of opposite the farmhouse with the wire going over the river, you can make your way round the corner under the trees. You will then reach the fairly straight stretch between Inverurie and Manar Fishings. About half way up that stretch the burn enters the river on your bank ( burn is little more than a ditch at point of entry from memory ) and this marks the top of the beat. There is a Council sign there to mark the top, or at least there was last time I was there.

Cheers
Mike

Top hut

River level marker at top hut

View back to top hut as you make your way round the bend

Looking upstream at the straight section between Inverurie and Manar. I think this photo was taken from the burn.

Sign at the top of the beat.

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2015 at 16:21 »
 Tricky wading I use a wading stick if am fishing down it a step at a time. Even more so if the water is a tad up and coloured.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2015 at 21:01 »
I fished most of the season last year at the  top end and only ventured down stream a few times to the railway bridge and the A96 bridge.
Getting round the corner at the top end is tricky and tight but a good pool. You can wade most of the long straight looking back down stream with water level up to your nicky naky nooos on a average day.  (depending how tall you are. If your Ronnie Corbet size you'll drown)
The weir is a very under rated spot but watch your step can be very slippy this time of year . The long straight leading down to the A96 has mostly sandy banks or gravel right down the middle of it and is good for wading but wait for lower water as it can be deeper in places.
Hope that helps,  so fill your waders an have a crack at it

P's , when wading round the corner at the top end watch your step alot of hidden holes an slippy rocks

flyloon

« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2015 at 22:07 »
Thanks lads for all replys and for the pictures massive help  and the advise about wading as looks like some deep parts to watch out for mite try fishing up near the river ury side from the bank untill water levels drop a bit and safer to wade

Colin Sunley

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2015 at 09:06 »
I was told not to wade in the Ury as it has thick muddy bottom for most of its length, granted there are some patches of gravel but most if not all can be fished from the bank. Put it this way if you get stuck I could be a very long wait as not many people walk or fish that area.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2015 at 09:36 »

River level marker at top hut

WTF :? :! Who was responsible for the spelling of Metre :? :! FFS :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 11/07/2015 at 10:15 »
Possibly the same person that was responsible for "APPLYS"  :z4  :z4  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 11/07/2015 at 10:27 »
Possibly the same person that was responsible for "APPLYS"  :z4  :z4  :z4

:X1

flyloon

« Reply #9 on: 11/07/2015 at 11:13 »
I was told not to wade in the Ury as it has thick muddy bottom for most of its length, granted there are some patches of gravel but most if  not all can be fished from the bank. Put it this way if you get stuck I could be a very long wait as not many people walk or fish that area.
yeah only be fishing from bank up there if poss just want to get a way from the dog  walkers as last time had someone tell me it was there dogs watering hole and seem to think it was ok for there dog to jump all over me and made me drop my rod that's why I rather be somewhere quite or now feel wading be best bet but I do agree with u after a recent walk up that end not much place to fish from bank due to overgrown plants etc 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com