Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Light line rods
« on: 04/07/2015 at 19:54 »
I've been toying with the idea of getting a light line rod for quite a while now. I've found a little gem of a burn (well 2 actually) that are absolutely stuffed with small trout. The bigger of the burns is pretty open  in the lower reaches but becomes very overgrown and narrow. The smaller one is tiny with only little pockets of fishable water. I've seen fish to 12" in both  and have caught some slightly smaller ones on ultra light spin gear and tiny soft plastic lures.

I think with the right set up great fun could be had.  Most of the time it would be single dry or duo but I think certain pools would be great for  french nymphing and possibly small streamers.I was thinking something between 7-8ft in length and 2/3wt line rating would a perfect all rounder for the above methods.

I've looked at a few rods: 8' 3wt Zenith which is half price,  7ft  3wt Orvis Superfine  Glass and the 8ft 2wt Orvis Superfine Carbon. All of which are pricey but I've not seen much else that takes my fancy.

Does  anyone have any experience with such small light line rating rods? Does anyone have one for sale? 

Another option I looked into was a custom build. I know a few of you guys on here are into that. Would it be an option?

Cheers
Liam

Derek Roxborough

Re: Light line rods
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2015 at 11:46 »
I bought my Grand daughter a Shakespeare 7ft 3wt 3pc with tube less than £30 super rod ,I  have a home built 2 wt 6ft  4pc this is also a nice rod , built on Rainshadow blanks,  but it cost more than the Shakespeare, with no tube, easker1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2015 at 08:21 »
I used to fish a small burn near Auchenblae where fish to 2 pound were catchable, (although the average was more like 10oz).

I used a 7'6" split cane rod (4 weight) mainly because it was great for casting with a short line and was a bit more robust if clipping branches etc with the tip  :oops

Some of the best fishing I ever had  :z16

I am looking to move back to the area so have been looking at something to replace the cane rod...I think it will be an Epic for many different reasons :)  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2015 at 12:25 »
Rob  :z16

I remember talking to you before about this.  Do you feel a 4wt is sporting enough for the wee trout.... I.e do they put a good bend  into the rod and make it seem like you've got a good scrap on?  I'd be interested to hear your opinion. As a 7' 6"  #4 Epic could be an option.
 :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 06/07/2015 at 17:01 »
As a 7' 6"  #4 Epic could be an option.

Or perhaps an Epic 376  :wink discontinued, but i may be able to get my hands on one or two blanks, if you were interested. There isn't better for what you are after IMHO, unless you go to cane. PM me if its of interest and i can find out what colours are left :z16

Sandy

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2015 at 08:28 »
Rob  :z16

I remember talking to you before about this.  Do you feel a 4wt is sporting enough for the wee trout.... I.e do they put a good bend  into the rod and make it seem like you've got a good scrap on?  I'd be interested to hear your opinion. As a 7' 6"  #4 Epic could be an option.

My cane rod was a 4 weight because that is what I was given (in payment from Jim Somers for building some of the old Somers Fibatube rods), but, as it was cane, it did bend nicely. I would also say that it was a true "river  4 weight" in that it was designed to cast 5-10 yards of line rather than modern carbon rods that all seem to be built for distance. I did try it with a 3 weight and even a 2, and it cast well, but no good for close in work with those lines.

Personally I would be looking at cane or glass purely because the blanks have enough weight in them to start flexing with little line out the tip. I would bow down to Sandys expertise on the Epic front but a 4 weight would, for me, be more useful for what you describe. I found myself fishing silly sized "terrestrials" such as grasshoppers, hawthorn flies and floating beetles and the 4 had a better turnover.

Most casts were little flicks, bow and arrows casts or a sort of half cocked roll so the extra weight helped hugely. If I cast more than 10 yards I was in to "extreme distance" casting :)

Having said all that, these days I would be tempted to go Tenkara :)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2015 at 12:59 »
Thanks for your input Rob   :z16

I've decided on  a 376 epic (which will be built by Sandy) and I'm in the process of thinking up ideas.

Watch this space !

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/07/2015 at 13:06 »
I'm in the process of thinking up ideas.

50mm guides, shrink tube handle and an ALPS trilux reel seat ;)

See if he can get it dipped in Real Tree camo...now that would be unique.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 08/07/2015 at 04:17 »
Thanks for your input Rob   :z16

I've decided on  a 376 epic (which will be built by Sandy) and I'm in the process of thinking up ideas.

Watch this space !

Liam

Liam,

after reading your posts I too have placed an order with Sandy for one of these as I have a few places that I would like to play with a small rod on when I return from the Middle East stint. All I need to do now is make the flies.

Eddie.  :z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 08/07/2015 at 19:30 »
Nice one Eddie!

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com