Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Tarp Hat - a new addition
« on: 01/07/2015 at 18:03 »
It's funny how you remember things.....

I've been looking for a new fishing cap, not a broad brim hat like I used to wear but a baseball cap that is better than the many baseball caps I currently own which all have a number of things in common.....

1. By and large they have all shrunk - I know this as I definitely have less hair than I used to and my head is sufficiently swollen to not be capable of getting any larger - so they have shrunk.
2. Most have not aged well, they have gone beyond the 'lived in look' and are now more 'country bumpkin' than anything else.
3. They annoy me. Yes, it is true. Because of 1 & 2 they annoy me but I'm too tight to throw them out 'just in case I might need one'. I must have 20+

So there I was the other day sitting in front of the PC having been very comfortably outbid on something entirely different (and not fishing related) on an internet auction site that was probably eBay. Now this is where the remembering stuff bit sets in....

I recalled that in a tackle review - and I am sure it was Magnus who did the review in FF&FT - I had read about hats being made from tarpaulins (ex-Brazil).
This appealed to me on several levels, not least because (in theory) they should never shrink and are already aged well in terms of the material used. So I visited the website http://www.tarphat.co.uk/ and bought a large baseball cap. It arrived very well packed four days later:

I am deeply impressed and in this afternoons tropical thunderstorm my head stayed dry and 'breathing' underneath. Completely dry.... the water beaded up and dropped off just fine.
Now they may not be everyones cup of tea but - as I said - it appealed to me and has already justified the £17.30 cost including delivery.

It will get a fishing outing very soon I think but, at the moment, it would seem to be just the very hat I have been looking for. I like it when I remember useful stuff  :wink

:cool:

Derek Roxborough

Re: Tarp Hat - a new addition
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2015 at 19:23 »
Whits Wrang wi' a decent  bunnet? ??? easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2015 at 19:38 »
Whits Wrang wi' a decent  bunnet? ??? easgach 1

Nothing that wearing something else wont cure  :wink

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2015 at 22:44 »
Damn you H I was going to get one of those!  :z4
I got my other halh one of the wide brim hats and she loves it. Truth be told, I got her one so I could see what the quality was like so I could get one for myself.  :z7
However now that I have removed the logo from my regular fishing hat I think that I am more than happy with it. But when it wears out.....

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2015 at 07:56 »
Damn you H I was going to get one of those!  :z4

You still can bud, just know that I beat you to it  :z7  :z4

However now that I have removed the logo from my regular fishing hat I think that I am more than happy with it. But when it wears out.....:z1

Just get one anyway, then you can have a sensible spare  ;D

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2015 at 21:28 »
I need some thing to keep the sun aff my lugs and Baseball cap jist wont dae it ,  :X2  easgach 1

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2015 at 01:41 »
I need some thing to keep the sun aff my lugs and Baseball cap jist wont dae it ,  :X2  easgach 1
Nae bother laddie, http://www.tarphat.co.uk/products/1/Wide-Brim-Tarp-Hats/1/The-Original-Amazonas-Tarp-Hat   yer lugs will be well shaded wi' one o' these  :z4 :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 03/07/2015 at 10:55 »
really liking those ! just curious, Hamish. how does the cap fit ? tight to the scull or a bit loose like say, Simms caps ?
maybe a pic with it on ?  you know, a Fb-type bathroom selfie...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2015 at 13:21 »
Curious, how is something made from a tarp breathable?

Have we been duped by Goretex all these years when we could have been making jackets from tarpaulin?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2015 at 15:01 »
Thanks for the link , Tarpaulin has always been breathable, after a fashion, the best breathable material used to be Ventile, and probably still is if you can still get it , Blacks use to make their quality Anoraks from it , I had a  Navy foul weather top made from it 
I still have a set of the trousers to match , super stuff,  but Expensive in its day,  easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 03/07/2015 at 18:44 »
really liking those ! just curious, Hamish. how does the cap fit ? tight to the scull or a bit loose like say, Simms caps ?
maybe a pic with it on ?  you know, a Fb-type bathroom selfie...  :z4 :z4 :z4

I'll sort out a pic tomorrow Marc, it fits well. I had to have a large and it has a velcro type adjuster at the back to ensure a snug fit. Me like  :cool:

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 03/07/2015 at 19:03 »
Curious, how is something made from a tarp breathable?

Have we been duped by Goretex all these years when we could have been making jackets from tarpaulin?

Tarpaulin is a generic term for many different materials over the years that have been shaped to perform a function; it's not necessarily a plasticised cover - although that is the material most associate them with today. The Tarp Hat is from a canvas tarpaulin, so it has some breathable qualities but I wouldn't say it was necessarily fully breathable per se.

H :z12

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #12 on: 04/07/2015 at 10:20 »
Hilltrek in Aboyne & Keela both still make clothing in ventile - brilliant material, I have a pair of single ventile trousers made by Hilltrek that I use for stalking & fishing.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2015 at 20:03 »
Et voilą :! For you Marc:

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 05/07/2015 at 09:53 »
Dude, you should be on GQ !  :z4
thanks man, me get one  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com