Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

monsterfish

Salmon
« on: 28/09/2007 at 11:30 »
Has any1 caught a salmon on the don yet.  I fish at kintore and cant catch 1 even though there are heaps jumping.  I heard someone caught a 20pounder but it was more like a 8pounder.  Tell me how to catch a salmon.
Thanks
  Colin

jbb

Re: Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2007 at 21:37 »
fish fish and fish some more  :wink
if it is ur day u will get one
 u have to put the time  and find out were they lay it can take year or 2 to learn a beat.
as long as you are fishing what does it matter :z4

stickleback

« Reply #2 on: 30/09/2007 at 21:01 »
Late afternoon on the 21st I caught a 4lb grilse near Fintry on a size 10 fly similar to a Munro Killer.  Tried again yesterday morning - saw a few moving but caught sod all.  Keep trying - if I can catch one so can you !! :z18

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2007 at 10:24 »
Aye caught the 20 pounder a week ago mate so could not have been an 8lb like u say.Trying to get my photos on there are heeps of salmon getting caught at kintore.Aye lost another won the other day.Had one at grandholme on saturday as well got it right to the side then my fly slipped out GUTTED.Cheers jamie

monsterfish

« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2007 at 21:13 »
hear of lots of salmon at kintore but can only go on friday or saturday evenings.  this is risky trying to cast between the flying bricks.  this is scary.  sorry jamie dont shoot the messsenger.  where would one go to get a salmon smoked.

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2007 at 10:34 »
Yes i heard the same about the dubious 20 pounder from Kintore.  I too am seeking refuge from those who prefer to fling bricks. :z8

Are there any fly only beats on the Don at all.

Chris

monsterfish

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2007 at 18:52 »
Chris i think you should head further up the water for fly water.  Been fishing lately at kintore and have seen young scallies using shrimp and ripping in the evening. Has any one else seen this disgusting behaviour.  I am afraid to intervene on my own.  Who should i contact when this happens.  Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks

Colin

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2007 at 19:00 »
Can't say i have Colin, i hear it goes on from time to time.  Contact the River Balliff's is your best and safest bet.  I certainly would not suggest tackling anyone yourself, you just don't know what or who you are dealing with.

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2007 at 19:12 »
Also heard of two chaps who fished below Kintore today and had 4 Salmon.

sharpie

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2007 at 21:01 »
if you have a camera mobile you should try and get pics of the culprits then catch the baliff and pass on the information to them.

then post them up here so we can all see who is abusing the water :mad

« Reply #10 on: 04/10/2007 at 10:30 »
Aye think aye seen someone using shrimp aswell a few times AND asked what there were using they said devon minnows.But photos up this week.CHEERS JAMIE

monsterfish

« Reply #11 on: 04/10/2007 at 18:45 »
I think we should crack down on the shrimpers by chasing them off the water.

« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2007 at 10:24 »
Well we could try that but the people aye have seen doin this are all at least 6 foot hehe .CHEERS JAMIE

« Reply #13 on: 05/10/2007 at 19:32 »
Well "aye" think the baillifs need to be told about this.  But as permit holders we all have a responsibilty to ensure that no-one contravenes the rules of the River Don.  I am looking forward to seeing these pictures.  about three seasons ago i had a hen salmon, the measurements i took were checked by Tay Ghillies and the smokehouse in Torry who said it was in the region of 35lb, so i am interested to see this 20lber.

I feel that in the interests of consevation treble hooks should be banned on the Don.

« Reply #14 on: 06/10/2007 at 10:18 »
Thats a very big fish aswell. :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com