Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Hoddom and Gomorra
« on: 21/06/2015 at 15:37 »
We converged on Hoddom castle this year for a small fishing trip for the Barrio Pro-team members.

The local river is the Annan which i have not fished before, but have heard lots of good things about, so was full of good intentions for 3 days of fishing in good company :z16

Our digs on the morning after the first night, a cool way to go camping, especially for auld mannies :X2

The previous evening after we had all met up at the site (All, being Will, Marc, Hamish, Mike and Myself) and enjoyed a quick walk of the top beat followed by a decent evening meal. Consisted of an exploratory cast or two of the local beat :z12

I was greeted by my first Grayling for 17 years, closely follwed by a nice brownie and another bigger grayling who wouldn't pose for a photo. It rekindled my long standing love of these fish i've had since i caught my first when i was 11 and it was the first decent fish i had ever caught on the fly.

Yellow mays seem to be the preffered food for the fish i targeted on the first evening and it culminated in this cracker, who was feeling somewhat arty when it chose to pose :z7

So back to the day in question, after some product discussions and testing we decided to do what the lines were intended for and so began our foray upstream on the Annan to a very pretty upper beat.

The daytime fishing proved very challenging and the highlight was dropping a nice fish  and finding some very cool dead bodies :z12

After some coffee and deliberations the evening turned out to be a much better proposition with a good few decent fish to catch and a willingness to rise for sensible imitations.

A couple of beauties here for Mr B
This was the first

And once he settled down, his fishing Mojo came back and all sorts happened :z16

Lots of small dimple rises proving to be more than anticipated

It was Yellow Mays again and some really nice fish Taking them, i got my best of the season so far, so well chuffed and even had someone on hand to get my ugly mug in on the act :z4

The following day followed a similar pattern but we ventured downstream to see some beautiful water

We did get to see some beautiful slack line presentation casting courtesy of Mr Fauvet, while he practically tested some more Barrio lines

The final evening proved to be a bit trickier than the previous one, but later the fish were on the yellow mays again until the sedges came out.

I had one final Epic Brownie to end the 3 days

So a fantastic 3 days in superb company, i learned loads, had some great conversations about Hooks, flies, lines, rods and caught some cracking fish as well, it doesn't get much better, roll on the next one :z18

Sandy

Scott Cumming

Re: Hoddom and Gomorra
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2015 at 18:14 »
Looks like you guys had a blast... :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2015 at 20:16 »
Thanks for posting the photos Sandy ...... it was a pretty awesome weekend :z16

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2015 at 21:43 »
awesome report Sandy ! i'll add some more later on, but probably not till i get back home...
let's see some more pics gents !  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 21/06/2015 at 22:13 »
'Marc the Giant' has got the kettle on ....... Great stuff :z12

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 21/06/2015 at 23:16 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4     :z7...

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2015 at 10:03 »
I think Mikes Mojo is back because he has a decent net now ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2015 at 18:07 »
I knew I had a photo somewhere.... here is Mike, Will and Sandy out and about checking out the water we would be fishing when we first arrived at Hoddom.
Jackets were needed then as boy was that wind cold :!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 22/07/2015 at 11:08 »
sorry for the delay in posting pics of this memorable get-together !  here's Mike and Sandy in 'observation mode'.

more as soon as i sort through the 1000 or so pics...  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 22/07/2015 at 11:17 »
Great photo Marc :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2015 at 13:07 »
with nice 'models' getting a good photo is easy...   :z4 :z4 :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2015 at 18:53 »
Hamish rolling them out like the Boss that he is.   :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 22/07/2015 at 19:07 »
hard to not get attached to such a lovely river...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 23/07/2015 at 16:12 »
Will and Hamish playing with double handers :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 23/07/2015 at 17:30 »
i wonder what what Will was saying...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com