Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Mike Barrio

Fitting Braided Leader Loops
« on: May 16, 2015, 13:10:53 PM »
Personally, I prefer to connect my leader directly to my fly line with a constriction type knot, in my experience this offers me a better transition from fly line to leader and better presentation. But braided leader loops are a very popular alternative method and I am frequently asked how to fit them.

There are numerous braided leader loops available on the market, many of these are too long and too heavy for most fly line tips and can cause them to sink, especially when fitted to lower weight lines. A lot of them are also very poorly made and can fail on a good fish. In my experience, the Roman Moser Minicon Loops are the best that I have found.

These are easy to fit. I usually grab 10 inches or so of nylon, thread it through the loop and hold it back in a 'U' against the loop ( loop to loop ) then I slide the red sleeve over the loop so that the sleeve is mostly sitting on the nylon.

Then I insert the fly line inside the braid at the other end and feed it up through the braid until it reaches the point where the loop is formed. Sometimes the end of the braid can be a bit tight making it difficult to insert the fly line, but if you push or prod the end of the braid with your finger this will help to loosen and expand the braid a little.

Now hold the nylon and slide the sleeve back over the loop and along the braid until it reaches the other end, I like to have about 3/4 of the sleeve sitting on the braid and 1/4 on the fly line.

A braided loop works by constriction, so the harder you pull the braided loop from the loop end, the more it will tighten and grip the fly line between the loop and the 'sleeve anchor point'. Don't be tempted to add a spot of glue at the loop end, as this could cancel out the constriction of the braid.

Braided loops work well when simply fitted like this, but some folk like the added assurance of a spot of waterproof superglue. If you wish to add waterproof superglue, stop sliding the sleeve just before you reach the end of the braid (picture 5) add a little glue to the end of the braid and then slide the sleeve over this to the 3/4 - 1/4 point. Only use a very small amount of glue, as slightly too much can cause your fly line tip to sink.

Hope this is useful :cool:

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Derek Roxborough

Re: Fitting Braided Leader Loops
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 17:17:37 PM »
I went back to the old Figure 8 knot as I use 3 fly casts and my cast holders , easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »
Gone back to a stiff nylon loop knotted around the fly line as I am using light lines and felt even with a small braided sleeve the line was a bit splashy on the cast.

I just loop to loop my leader on.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Steven Dawson.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 23:14:36 PM »
I river fish mainly with your Small Stream lines Mike,hard to beat in my book.
Over the years I've been making my own welded loops, and I find them very easy on your lines.
Unlike the factory made ones, I can make them very small and unobtrusive.
Couple of inches of heat shrink tube and a candle flame is all that's needed takes five minutes from start to end, and I very rarely get hinging problems.
Loop to loop a thread furled leader on, and it slips through the top eye beautifully.
S.

Mick Reid

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 20:36:39 PM »
i like the Roman Mosers as well,,,ive actually had trout attack the red sleeve before .

John Powell

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 02:18:42 AM »
''.... Sometimes the end of the braid can be a bit tight making it difficult to insert the fly line...''

a tip i was told
insert a thicker (darning) needle into the RM braid
lightly heat needle with a match
withdraw needle - and braid end stays open
you 'may' have to cut off about 1/4'' of the heated braid
then very easy to insert flyline
wade safe...............john   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
Hi John,

I can see that being helpful with some of the other braided loops on the market, but the Roman Moser ones are always very easy to fit and a little push or prod to open them up is rarely needed.

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

John Powell

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
Hi John,
I can see that being helpful with some of the other braided loops on the market, but the Roman Moser ones are always very easy to fit and a little push or prod to open them up is rarely needed...Best wishes..Mike..

I totally agree - the RM loops I bought from you were fitted in no time
I bought the RMs cos of time wasted 'trying' to thread another supplier...... :cry
wade safe...............john   

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum