Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

New Bamboo Suggestions
« on: 20/04/2015 at 13:12 »
With an imminent move on the cards, I will be back living in a place I hold very dear to my heart. 20 yards away is a small stream that is intricate and interesting to fish, with small pools, fast glides and tricky casts.

I used to fish it with a 7'6" Lee Wulff "bamboo"rod that was built by myself from a blank given to me by Jim Somers in payment for some rods I built for him. I understand the blanks were originally made by Sharpes.

Anyway, I smashed the tip years ago and threw away the remains  :X1 but I want to replace it.

So, any recommendations for something somewhere between 7' and 7'6" casting about a 4 weight that won't break the bank? Cane or glass, not really fussed as long as it has a nice action.

Cheers in advance.

Sandy Nelson

Re: New Bamboo Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2015 at 15:37 »
Hi Rob

I've a 7ft 4wt 2pc cane rod i've been playing with and it would probably be perfect, best short blank i've used to date :z16 (of any material)
You can borrow mine anytime to try it out and maybe trial for a while to see if its as good as i think it is :z16

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2015 at 17:22 »
a horribly sweet (  :z4 ) 7'6" 4wt is the Epic.
boo or glass, looks like Sandy's your man  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2015 at 07:09 »
Hi Rob

I've a 7ft 4wt 2pc cane rod i've been playing with and it would probably be perfect, best short blank i've used to date :z16 (of any material)
You can borrow mine anytime to try it out and maybe trial for a while to see if its as good as i think it is :z16

Sandy

That really is very kind of you yet again! I may just take you up on that as although moving South, I will still be Aberdeenshire...just :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2015 at 07:12 »
a horribly sweet (  :z4 ) 7'6" 4wt is the Epic.
boo or glass, looks like Sandy's your man  :wink

I had types my original post and hit "post" when I saw the photo of the Epic at the bottom of the screen. A quick check on the Swiftys site and I came across the 7' 6" in olive...and that is indeed very tempting!! I have the handle already built and a reel seat waiting..lol.

I liked the cane as it took a few taps to tree branches and the bank when crawling about in the undergrowth, but glass might be the answer.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2015 at 09:07 »
well, you mentioned glass in your first post...  :z4

anyhow, mate Peter Hayse takes one of those big south Pacific guys on his shoulders and steps on the Epic up and down the blank on pavement. has done so many times and i've done it myself (on his rod and without the fat guy  :z4 ).
its scratched all over of course and guide rings aren't what they used to be...  :roll but the blank works as if it was untouched.
typically, no-one does these kinds of things with other blanks so its hard to compare but still...

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2015 at 10:16 »
steps on the Epic up and down the blank on pavement.

I don't have a habit of breaking rods, only having broken 2 of mine in some 40 years of fishing, including the cane one in a house move :(

However, other peoples rods are a different story  :X2 Best was in Farlows of Pall Mall. The salesman handed me a Hardy Zane Grey 9 weight prototype and said, "Go on, put some welly into it, it won't break"...it did, just above the handle :)

Next line was classic..."It's never done that before...."

Anyway, the Epic is looking odds on favourite just now....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com