Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ecoman

The Blae-winged Crow dressing
« on: 17/04/2015 at 20:32 »
This is a distillation of several black flies already in existence, so I lay no claim to invention, just to variation in order to suit my needs.
Hook :-               #14 - 16  Kamasan emerger.
Tail   :-               several strong black hackle whisks
Body :-               three or four feather fibres from a broad black crow's wing
Hackle :-             Black hen or cock

Do the usual wind down the hook with black thread of your choice to a point level with the hook barb, tying in the black tail whisks.

Now at the tail, tie in the crow feather fibres, treat the threaded shank with a little varnish or superglue, and wind on the fibres to form a slim herl body.
Stop 2/3rds. of the way to the eye and tie off.

Now take two slips of starling wing and tie them in to lie just above the body, a 2-turn whip finish or two half hitches to keep it firmly in place and treat the trimmed end with a dot of varnish or superglue.

Before applying the varnish or glue - prepare a black hackle and tie it in close to the wing. This will fasten both the wing and hackle firmly into place when the liquid sets.
Now two full turns of the hackle towards the hook eye, form a neat head and whip finish. Apply glue or varnish. Clear the eye.

I caught that trout with a fly which was air-dried during casting, no floatant.  It matched pretty closely the small black flies drifting downstream, and because the hackle was a soft hen, it sat on the surface film like a spinner.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com