Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Nets
« Reply #45 on: 18/05/2015 at 14:56 »
I phoned Pure Fishing / Hardy / Greys customer services and they said that the handle is meant to rotate like that and that I should adjust the length to what I want before I start fishing ..... apparently it is a good boat fishing net.

He added that I should speak to the tackle shop that I bought it from and ask to return it if I don't like it.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 18/05/2015 at 15:11 »
Ted Cater will give me a refund if I'd like to ship it back to Preston at my cost :z4   :z4  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #47 on: 18/05/2015 at 17:18 »
Macleans Silver series

Hinge Handle Net - Large
The Head measures 22" by 18.5". Overall length is 47" when opened and 26.5" when stored. Belt clip and grip fitted to handle.

Price: £49.99 (Including VAT at 20%)

Without the weighing handle and in silver instead of bronze, this is about as good as it gets at a decent enough price. :z16

Same size as my one :z16

they do a smaller one too

A smaller version of the MLH40, ideal when wading where a longer handle could get in the way. Head measures 19" by 16.5", depth 22". Overall length when open is 37".

Price: £44.99 (Including VAT at 20%)

Could be even better :z18

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #48 on: 18/05/2015 at 20:20 »
Sandy,
That looks very like the Sharpes Belmont sea trout net that I have used for years. Non telescopic, silver frame with a beltclip. I just can' t find a way to clip it nicely to my chest pack / waders and the net is knotted.
That not withstanding, I do love that net and it will be the one I take north this weekend. It is time I set my mind to getting the clipping issue sorted and find a net that is fish friendly. It is all Hugh Falkus fault really... :z4

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #49 on: 19/05/2015 at 07:27 »
Mike, really sorry the net is not what you are after.  :cry

I checked my net last night, I have the "locking nut" slightly tight which means that I can step on the net and extend the handle and it does not rotate. Right enough though, if you undo the nut completely, the handle does rotate, which I had not noticed.

My handle remains a fixed length 95% of the time however, which is probably why I missed it.

Might I suggest a trip to Aberdeen to your local tackle shop as they have a good range of nets, including Sharpes, McLean, and a few others. At least you can try them there ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #50 on: 19/05/2015 at 08:53 »
Not your fault Rob :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #51 on: 19/05/2015 at 09:26 »
I have decided you are a right royal fussy bugger Mike ;)  :X2

Have you tried these? ;)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #52 on: 19/05/2015 at 13:39 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #53 on: 20/05/2015 at 13:47 »
Right, rather than just pick up my net and have a quick look, I had a proper going over it last night as I had a "niggle".

Mike, are you sure you bought the GX? The rubber handle on mine is round (which was the bit I looked at), but the actual sliding bit of the net is a rounded off square with a channel. That channel and the slightly flat faces means that even when the locking mechanism is totally loose, the net handle cannot turn.

It also provides enough friction that with the adjustment set loose, the handle wont extend on its own, but a slight tug downwards before unshipping it from your back means it will extend and stay there. I had the fortune to put this into practice a few times last night and it worked perfect. A foot on the frame also works easily.

The net saga continues :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #54 on: 20/05/2015 at 13:51 »
Yes, I'm sure it's a GX, possibly another batch? The guy at Greys knew exactly what I was talking about :wink

I'm sure we'll meet up some time Rob and we can compare notes ... nets.

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #55 on: 20/05/2015 at 16:36 »
i just ordered the Maclean hinged as suggested by Sandy on the previous page as i don't want anything any more mechanical than a simple flip connection.
springs and sliders and whatnot just look like trouble down the road which will inevitably come to life at the very worst moment...  :z4
should get thoroughly soaked and baptised on several chalkstreams on the way up next month ! :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com