Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Nets
« Reply #30 on: 06/05/2015 at 08:38 »
All this talk of nets got me thinking, and I realized that although my wee pan net is great on small streams or when deep wading etc, I have lost a few bigger fish because I could not reach them from higher banks.

So, I bought a new folding, extendable net, and I have to say, it seems very well built.

Its the new Greys GX rubber meshed folding trout net. Christened it last night on a 3 pound Brownie and the net was easy to use, flipped up perfectly and despite it being a "pan" style, swallowed the fish easily. The handle is super grippy and the whole thing feels solid. Being rubber mesh, the water seemed to flow through it rather than "grab" it like my older nylon meshed net did. also, one shake and it was dry before clipping onto my back.

It is being sold as a bank anglers net, but the small size version seems to be perfect for what I want.

http://fly.greysfishing.com/cache/files/11554-1341928813/TF_425_037GXtelescopicnet.pdf

Euan Innes

« Reply #31 on: 06/05/2015 at 18:06 »

I bought the Greys scoop net and I think it's ace. Same size as the Maclean with no mods needed thus it is £75 cheaper.
It hangs nicely on my back, the mesh dries really well and it is quite a solid build. Pretty muted bronze colour too  :z16
In the end I could not justify £100 on a net. I can get a really nice malt for what I saved  :z18
I will update the forum over the rest of the season.
When it breaks you can all have a good laugh! :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 13/05/2015 at 23:09 »
Hi Rob,

I took a close look at my net and have decided to skip it :z6

Has your Greys GX got a clip near the swivelling part to attach it to a D ring on your back?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 14/05/2015 at 08:07 »
Hi Rob,

I took a close look at my net and have decided to skip it :z6

Has your Greys GX got a clip near the swivelling part to attach it to a D ring on your back?

Cheers
Mike

It does indeed Mike.

Unclips very smoothly too.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 14/05/2015 at 08:45 »
Ordered ..... thanks Rob :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 14/05/2015 at 11:00 »
Bloody hope you don't break this one!!! lol

What size did you go for? I went for the smallest at £29.99.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 14/05/2015 at 11:16 »
Think that's the one I went for Rob, sizes were large and medium, I chose the medium. ( 18 inches? )

Didn't break the last one, it was just poorly designed :z6

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 14/05/2015 at 13:07 »
Having second thoughts about putting the 'Rover Net' out in the skip .....

I think I'll keep it as my salmon net, it shouldn't annoy me so much for that, as I very very rarely need one!  :z4  :z4  :z4

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #38 on: 16/05/2015 at 00:38 »
On the subject of nets (I have no connection), I came across these hand-made offerings.
http://norman-agutters.com/nets.htm
(Don't understand why the knotted mesh though for the Gye style nets... :z8)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #39 on: 18/05/2015 at 07:28 »
On the subject of nets (I have no connection), I came across these hand-made offerings.
http://norman-agutters.com/nets.htm
(Don't understand why the knotted mesh though for the Gye style nets... :z8)

Tradition for the knotted mesh....but also illegal in Scotland.

I have seen there cane carp nets, a chap I know up here has one. Very well put together.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 18/05/2015 at 13:58 »
Greys net arrived this morning Rob, looks a good size and it flips up well.

Not too sure about the  durability and user friendliness of the extending handle locking ring or the fact that the handle rotates when loose ...... but a few trips to the river will answer that :z3

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #41 on: 18/05/2015 at 14:05 »
Greys net arrived this morning Rob, looks a good size and it flips up well.

Not too sure about the  durability and user friendliness of the extending handle locking ring or the fact that the handle rotates when loose ...... but a few trips to the river will answer that :z3

Cheers
Mike

Are you buying your nets from "Substandard Nets R Us"? lol.  Locking mechanism is solid on mine and even when loose the handle does not rotate.. :z8.

What I have found though, is that the locking mechanism gets in the way of the d-loop clip, so I keep my handle extended by about 4 inches so as to clear the clip making relocation onto the d-loop easy.

I will double check mine tonight but it was used 3 times on Saturday with no issues at all .

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 18/05/2015 at 14:19 »
Ordered from Ted Carter Fishing Tackle Rob :cool:

Handle on mine rotates freely unless it is locked tightly to length.

I had spotted that the chunky plastic locking ring would get in the way of the hanging clip ....... Chinese design :z4

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: 18/05/2015 at 14:20 »
All these nets................ You'd have been cheaper just buying a decent one to start with :X1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 18/05/2015 at 14:30 »
All these nets................ You'd have been cheaper just buying a decent one to start with :X1

Couldn't agree more Sandy :X1

This one is going to be pretty useless too, as I'll be unable to extend it single handed, or with my foot, without leaving it rotating :z6

Don't think I need a trip to the river to work that out. Might phone Hardy Greys for their advice before I skip it and buy what I should have done in the first place :z6

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com