Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Nets
« Reply #15 on: 23/04/2015 at 15:45 »
You would need that to stop your fish falling through, i never seem to have the same issues :z7

:z4 :z4

ZX3

Will Shaw

« Reply #16 on: 23/04/2015 at 16:37 »
I just wish the netting was different, shallower and micro mesh :z6

Yeah, it's frustrating that although Maclean's do an excellent micromesh option in NZ, for some reason it doesn't get imported to the UK.

I got mine in NZ (in fact I had to ring Macleans direct and get them to deliver it to a local tackle shop!).

Might be worth calling them direct Mike and seeing if they'll send you one.

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 23/04/2015 at 17:17 »
Hi Will,

I think the rubber mesh bags are available in the UK now, as an accessory, but then I'd have to buy the net for £90 and the mesh bag for £18 :z6

http://www.guideflyfishingonline.co.uk/page.php?id=1316

I think I need to fix the Wychwood :z4

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #18 on: 23/04/2015 at 19:01 »
thanks for the link Mike, been searching for the Trout size rubber net bag in Europe for a while.  :z16
on the other hand, it might be that i didn't search properly but i don't find any retailers. any help ?  :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #19 on: 23/04/2015 at 22:38 »
Good spot Mike. Thanks for the link!

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 23/04/2015 at 23:06 »
Hi Marc :z16

I think all these would be dealers, or at least have an account for ordering one? Hopefully you'll see one you know.

http://www.guideflyfishingonline.co.uk/dealer-list-main.php

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 24/04/2015 at 17:20 »
So these Mclean scoop nets with the scales seem to be popping up everywhere.
Are they worth £70 and do they hang nicely handle down?  I have had a look around and they look like the only net that fits my needs.
Reviews please!

:z1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #22 on: 24/04/2015 at 18:06 »
thanks Mike !  :z16 i'll just send the distributor an email with the hope they can tell me which store has the rubber mesh bag.

Will ! are you still looking for one ? pm me if you are ?  :z16

Are they worth £70 and do they hang nicely handle down? 

yes and yes. it's very nice gear.  mine's 2 or 3 years old now and still looks like new :z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #23 on: 24/04/2015 at 18:35 »
found the rubber mesh bag !  :z4
GAC must have recently added it. http://www.fishingmegastore.com/mclean-rubber-netbag~24928.html
and it's not in stock either...  :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #24 on: 26/04/2015 at 08:36 »
Are they worth £70 and do they hang nicely handle down?

I like mine. It hangs nicely, and is a good size - not too small, not too big. I've had trout to 5lb+ in it no probs. Being able to weigh your trout without handling them is great.

But... on the negative side:
£70... it's a lot for a net, and then you still have to add a few gadgets to make it fishable.

The standard knotless bag is a pain. It gets snagged on everything, it's too long. Mine got tangled up in the car boot before even going fishing. First thing - buy a replacement net or be prepared to curse a lot. (i bought a standard coarse fishing rubber net and fitted that). Or you can tie a knot in the bottom of the net to shorten it.

To hang the net, you need to add a magnetic release thing to the frame, and a lanyard to the handle so you can let the net go without losing it.

I added a magnetic release to the frame (exactly opposite to the handle). I had to use a cable tie to fit the magnet's split ring to the net frame.
The other half of the mag release is attached to the D-ring on the back of my fishing vest with a split ring. Minor contortions to re-attach after catching but do-able.

The handle of the net is attached to a coiled lanyard with dog clips (I bought the Caimore coiled lanyard from eBay and it's been excellent caimore coiled lanyard).
The other end of the lanyard is clipped to a d-ring that I slipped onto the side strap of my vest. The net by default comes with a piece of string to attach to yourself.... hmm. Plus the standard connector on the net handle is odd.

So, great net, but needs a lot of tweaks to make it usable. Having written this, surprised, i'd forgotten how much effort I had to go to to find the right add-ons to make an expensive net usable!

Euan - I know you like customising things, so this is probably just up your cup of tea :-)

Iain Cameron

« Reply #25 on: 26/04/2015 at 08:49 »
Euan - just adding up the cost -  £70 for the net.
Then:
£15-20 to replace the net
£5-10 for a mag release
£6-10 for a coiled lanyard
£1 or so for a cable tie if you don't have
£1 for a D-ring to fix to your vest (I re-purposed an old ring)

so... £25 min in extras, make the net nearer to £100. Sheesh, what was it Hamish quoted about things being made right straight from the factory...

Euan Innes

« Reply #26 on: 26/04/2015 at 13:01 »
Thanks Iain.
That was pretty much the conclusion that I came to. I like the C&F coiled lanyard and I have one on my bamboo net but I would probably but another one for this net.
£100 for a landing net just so I can weigh fish!  :shock :shock :shock
Off to think long and hard about nets....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 26/04/2015 at 13:40 »
After 11 years of weighing fish at Haddo, kept ones in the early days and C&R in the nets from then on ....... I don't think I ever want to weigh another fish again :z4

Nowadays my fish are wee ones, nice ones and crackers ...... that'll do just fine :cool:

Euan Innes

« Reply #28 on: 26/04/2015 at 15:17 »
Nowadays my fish are wee ones, nice ones and crackers ...... that'll do just fine :cool:

Spot on Mike! I also like this for a net

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-gb/products/nets-handles/landing-nets/gs-scoop-net/

And it is only £22 for the medium one. anyone got one?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #29 on: 26/04/2015 at 17:17 »
Quote from: Mike Barrio link=topic=6742.msg57837#msg57837 date=1430052043
[/quote

oh dear... you just jinxed yourself for life and'll only catch monstrous brutes from now on...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com