Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Nets
« on: 16/04/2015 at 11:41 »
I hate nets when on the river, they always get in my way and never feel right for me :z6

I've just ordered an Orvis retractable net holding gadget and I'm thinking about trying this with a wooden scoop net ..... fingers crossed :z4

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Nets
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2015 at 12:39 »
The good thing about the Orvis retractable net thinghy (if its the one I have), is that it has a quick release clip meaning you can very quickly detach your net from the lanyard with the fish in it. Really useful feature indeed.

I dropped the wooden framed scoop net in favour of a metal framed version. because the wood floated, it was for ever banging my side in the current. The metal one is lighter, thinner and does not catch the current/float.

Alternative is not to wade so deep!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2015 at 14:05 »
Sounds like the one I've ordered Rob. I have a couple of wooden nets, so I'll see how I get on with them.

I love the shape, mesh and size of the Wychwood Rover Net ..... but mine has just been a pain, the pin dropped out of it on it's second outing and the unfolding mechanism jams half open all the time, it will quite likely end up in the skip :z6

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2015 at 15:15 »
Oh dear, that is not good at all. Normally their kit is great. I would report back on my Wychwood salmon Gye net, but as I left it in the car park on its second trip out, I can't!..lol

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2015 at 17:02 »
I would report back on my Wychwood salmon Gye net, but as I left it in the car park on its second trip out, I can't!..lol

Maybe that's what I should have done  :z4  :z4  :z4

Marc Fauvet

Re: Nets New
« Reply #5 on: 16/04/2015 at 18:34 »
hey Mike !
just a few thoughts about carrying scoop nets:
imo, the main reason they can be a pia to have is that they swing around, catch things like bushes and stuff and get in the way when moving about.
assuming the net is kept in the back, the above happens a lot more when it's attached by the handle (handle up), plus the net bag hangs below the net further increasing its snaggability and reaching up over the shoulder can be difficult for us old gits !  :z4

now, attach it the other way around (handle down) and the net's frame lays flat against the back (as well as the bag) and the whole lot wobbles back and forth a whole lot less, (it basically doesn't unless you do some sort of climbing or James Brown type of gesticulation...  :z13 ) plus grabbing the handle to scoop a fish becomes more intuitive and much easier !

imo, retractors for nets don't make a lot of sense as it means holding the net down against the retractor's force and quite often this hinders or detracts from last-second landing activities. (the fish wants to take off again or a gazzilion other things that might/can/will happen when we thought the fight was over but wasn't. once the fish landed, the retractor is still pulling etc, etc, etc.

on the other hand, retractors like the orvis are really nice for wading staffs or small cameras  :wink

i've tried all scoop net management systems and this is the only that works well all the time. you can of course omit the leash but that means losing a lot of nets both on the ground and in the water...  :z4
(but maybe mostly, the leash allows one to let go of the net if needed and continue to properly finish the fight, without having to faff about with the darn net)

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 16/04/2015 at 18:50 »
and reaching up over the shoulder can be difficult for us old gits !  :z4

Sure can  :z4  :z4  :z4

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 16/04/2015 at 19:12 »
I have a bamboo scoop net that hangs from a C& F magnet thing, handle down and  leashed to my wading belt. Never swings about or gets in the way.
It never occured to me to hang a net handle up cos I could never reach it.
The leash is also a C&F springy cord thing. I have one on my float tube for the same reason and attached to my Abel nippers. Very nice bit of kit.
Might look at getting a bigger net this year but that might be pushing my luck!  :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 16/04/2015 at 20:02 »
I do hang "The Rover" handle down and I like the net size and the extending handle ..... maybe I just need to work out why it is jamming :z8

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 16/04/2015 at 21:15 »

now, attach it the other way around (handle down) and the net's frame lays flat against the back (as well as the bag) and the whole lot wobbles back and forth a whole lot less, (it basically doesn't unless you do some sort of climbing or James Brown type of gesticulation...  :z13 ) plus grabbing the handle to scoop a fish becomes more intuitive and much easier !

Yep Marc handle down . Must admit I went all posh with a spiral plastic spring thing to replace a piece of fine bungee cord recently but don't think it's any better. I have a magnetic holder cable tied to the bow of the net which allows the net to hang handle down.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #10 on: 21/04/2015 at 19:26 »
Ive been using one of these since last year, must admit not the most confidence inspiring when trying to land a fish but have had a few 4 pounders in it and did the job. Much easier to carry around but takes a bit of getting the hang of it folding it up again.

http://www.guideline.no/EASY+FOLD+NET.d2Y-18UlNO38pBp7q5B8Nxh0xE2N13PYpwtvO5o.ips?template=engWebshop

All in all I prefer a solid scoop net but find this better especially when banks start getting a bit overgrown.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 23/04/2015 at 13:06 »
Fished with a wooden scoop net for years now and you learn how to avoid most of the annoying bits  :z4
Totally agree handle down by far the best way to position it, although the back of yer waistcoat can get a bit mingin if you have to use it often enough but a small price to pay for a few Rod benders  :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2015 at 13:12 »
Tennis racket style nets have cost me a couple of serious trophies :cry :cry, so i don't go anywhere without my folding Macleans :z16 Quite accurate with weighing too so very handy.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 23/04/2015 at 14:55 »
I don't go anywhere without my folding Macleans :z16 Quite accurate with weighing too so very handy.

I just wish the netting was different, shallower and micro mesh :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 23/04/2015 at 15:35 »
I just wish the netting was different, shallower and micro mesh :z6

You would need that to stop your fish falling through, i never seem to have the same issues :z7

:z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com