Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

And now for something different
« on: 13/04/2015 at 07:25 »
Spent the last few weeks tying up DHE's and the like but as the Pike start to finish up their spawning I am turning my attention to "prey" fish flies.

Here is a Roach dressed on a 6/0 long shank :)

Hamish Young

Re: And now for something different
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2015 at 08:17 »
Nice, like that  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2015 at 08:31 »
Nice, like that  :z16

I am working on a smaller "trout sized" version but am struggling to find a suitable hook with a 1cm gape to meet with Don rules. I have something that's starting to look very Brown Trout Parr like, but I am not happy just yet.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2015 at 14:50 »
Fancy doing a step by step Rob?

I'm needing to replicate walking catfish (main prey of Giant Snakehead) and I reckon that your pattern is about bang on the profile I need. I'd just need to play around with the colour a little.

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2015 at 07:57 »
Fancy doing a step by step Rob?

I'm needing to replicate walking catfish (main prey of Giant Snakehead) and I reckon that your pattern is about bang on the profile I need. I'd just need to play around with the colour a little.

Steven.

I could do...leave it with me.

What sort of size are you thinking of as I do a tube fly that has a profile very similar to a cat (if its the same "Walking cat" that we had in Brunei?). All head tapering to an eel like tail?

Cheers
Rob

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2015 at 23:44 »
I could do...leave it with me.

What sort of size are you thinking of as I do a tube fly that has a profile very similar to a cat (if its the same "Walking cat" that we had in Brunei?). All head tapering to an eel like tail?

Cheers
Rob

Yep you got it in one, Ikan Keli in bahasa if I am not mistaken? It's the bait of choice for the locals and both myself and Paul Arden have been looking for a suitable imitation.

Thanks Rob!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 15/04/2015 at 02:03 »
Rob,

Sorry I missed the part about size. Around 6"- 8".

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2015 at 07:58 »
Rob,

Sorry I missed the part about size. Around 6"- 8".

Steven

I have something in mind...I am out tonight, but I will see what I can do over the weekend. I could not find a suitable coloured material last night so may have to order in. If I remember, they are a mottled brown on the top with a dirty cream belly? Big whiskers too :)

The flies in the picture are about 6", but lengthening the tail would be easy enough.

I used to keep some in a half barrel along with a lung fish and some climbing perch and when we left Brunei my dad said, "You will have to take them back to the river". I just tipper the barrel over and they "walked" the 10 yards back to the sungai! Amazing creatures!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com