Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ecoman

Searching for THE whip finisher
« on: 11/04/2015 at 08:10 »
Good morning and hello,
                                   I joined up last year - I seem to recall - but circumstances have diverted my energies into the more fundamental necessities of tasking our way through this last, long, wet and gale-torn winter. in fact - as I tap this out, a gusting 'front' has just swept over the Inner Sound from Skye, bearing a mixture of snow and sleet, so we are not done of it yet.
Anyway, things have changed quite a bit since I carried out my first fly repair at the age of nine, on the banks of the Endrick in Glenurquhart.  I recall that it was a Teal and Green and the wee trout were especially keen on it that day. The fly body had begun to unwind and the repair material was a thread of wool drawn from my old tweed jacket.

That was over sixty three years ago and it was on that occasion that I utilised with great attention, the skill of using a three-turn whip finish at the tail of the fly in order to hold the thing together for another half hour's fishing.
(Thanks to the tuition of my father who gradually taught me whips, bends and knots).

The next stage of my fly salavaging was to 'borrow' the house eyebrow tweezers as a vise and a spare shoe lace as a binding, then a card of sewing thread. The few feather pillows were then raided for the hackle ends which stuck through at the corner seams, and my life of fishing crime began.  It was a crime, because I slipped away whenever I could to dream my life away amidst the gurgling rushes of the burn.  My first fly had been a March Brown, but empty lemonade bottles salavaged from roadside ditches, deposited at the wee post office at three pence a time, soon added up to a cast of three flies which were bought either from MacPherson's or Grahams in inverness.  The hooks in those days were not always reliable so I resorted to obtaining bare hooks and devising my own creations.

Since then, many years have passed and for a time my fishing had to take a back seat, but now it has re-emerged and amidst the renewed enthusiasm of wading through threads and tinsels I have discovered that my fingers are not quite so nimble in some respects, especially for the more intricate dry flies, hence my search for THE whip finisher, which will resume in my next post.

Marc Fauvet

Re: Searching for THE whip finisher
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2015 at 08:57 »
hi and welcome aboard. nice first post !  :z16

here's THE whip finisher. follow the link to see it, videos and retailers.
https://www.google.fr/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=marc+petitjean+whip+finisher&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=TNMoVZOwEtOp8weXoICIBQ

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2015 at 09:19 »
Hi "ecoman",
Welcome to the forum :z16

Ah yes, younger folk might think that recycling is a new thing, but I also remember taking bottles back to the shop for a few pennies :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2015 at 15:49 »
...... but I also remember taking bottles back to the shop for a few pennies :cool:

Me too and I'm ten years younger than you Mr B  :wink

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2015 at 16:44 »
Me too and I'm ten years younger than you Mr B  :wink
me too. i think we're all younger than Mike...  :z4 :z4 :z4

ecoman

« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2015 at 17:56 »
Thanks for the welcome.  I promise to behave and try to be diplomatic; but on to the meat of my subject in my last post.

My latter-years revival into rod bending and fly tying has revealed that my once nimble fingers still had the muscle memory but I noticed the adverts for whip finishers and decided to take a look.
I bought several in turn, and whilst the last one - with a rotating handle suited me quite qwell, the bulbous loop at the rear end nearest the handle proved to be a wee bit inaccurate aat times - possibly because I was being a bit 'cack-handed' and even when I decided to crimp it in a little in the vise, it was still not ideal - FOR ME.
I'm a workshop fiddler by nature - you know - no wind-up toy car was safe and had to be dismantled to see how things worked.

So, I decided to cut the stainless loop and re-comfigure the remaining section closest to the handle, forming a hook which i fined down to a blunt point, then burnishing it up on a buffing wheel with 'T' cut.
Yes - it works fine.  I do not have fine enough welding gear to fasten the stainless wire sections, gut it was amazing when I whipped the sections together with tying thread, then doped the windings with a couple of doses of superglue - then clear varnish.
It's amazingly strong.

So, now I finished the whip finish - pushed the tool forward under thread control in order to release the rear hook, the pulled the thread, allowing the front hook to recerse on to the place where I want the whip to finish, and disengage it.

GREAT !  but I was still looking for perfection, and yes, Marc, I just had to risk a family crisis and spend money on a Petijean whip finisher - all the way from Poland.

Older and gathering arthitis in thumb knuckles anbd some broken hand bones, I found that the slim handle on this well-made tool tended to disappear into my hands, so I added a staghorn handle, slipping and gluing a section of plastic tubing into the rear end of the drilled hole in order to create a bearing surface on the handle rear.  I then added a short knob of staghorn to the extreme rear - glued in place - which acts as a controlling bead to hold the main part of the tool in place whilst I engage the thread.
Absolutely nothing else was interfered-with.

Now to the results of my trials :-  This whip finisher is lovely to use, especially on the finer threads of the non twisted variety.
However, it's not so keen on firm winding of 'cable-laid' threads, (e.g. Cobweb #6 ) especially when beeswaxed, which require a bit more pulling about.  They tend to haul the sprung hook towards the front hook, thus closing the gap long before it's required.
(Maybe I'm being a bit ham-fisted).
Anyway, I now have two excellent whip finishers, and if I am remiss in my opinion, then it's simply an honest one from just another amateur fly-tyer.

I believe that an adition to M.Petijean's armoury would be to simply produce a more strongly sprung model for the heavier, twisted threads, and those who like to produce a rather tightly wound whip.

ecoman

« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2015 at 18:20 »
OH !  and I'm more than a bit ashamed for my hasty and misspelled keyboard keying.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2015 at 18:49 »
woW ! that's manly !  :z4  :z18  :cool:

about the 'spring not strong enough' thing, how many turns are you doing your finishes with ? sounds like there's some overkill going on...  :wink

ecoman

« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2015 at 20:11 »
Hello Marc - maximum five on the larger flies.  I noticed that within the packet that the tool came in, (from Poland, because all the other firms I looked into were sold out - or 'unavailable'), the leaflet looked like it had been opened and scrutinised in the past.  The packet was not sealed.

Because of this I was wondering if perhaps this whip finisher had been out and returned in the past, and if it was one with a weaker spring than usual.
Of course, I cannot tell, and I'm certainly not purchasing another for comparison.

Notwithstanding, the tool is an excellent one and with fine craftsmanship.  I have the other which serves me very well whilst tying more 'robust' flies, and it might well be that the problem does lay within my own shortcomings.
At this time of life I'm not worried about 'being right', I just want to enjoy myself with everything the waterside has to offer, and a few friends of like mind to share it all with.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2015 at 21:21 »
I made a copy of the Matarelli whip finisher I found it less complicated than the other one, easgach 1

ecoman

« Reply #10 on: 11/04/2015 at 21:58 »
Hello Easgach, the tool on the left in the picture was originally a Matarelli.  I suppose that in truth you could say that I'm casting about and trying to 'guild the lily'. I was interested to see if there was any response and if others were working on trying to achieve something to beat all.
The Petijean really is excellent, but everyone handles tools differently and I might be heavier-handed than some. I suspect that if my Petijean had a stronger spring, it might snap the finer threads, but it would be nice to have one each of different spring strengths.
Maybe I'm a bit of a gadget nut.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2015 at 12:38 »
 I tried the other one but the Matarelli beats them all for simplicity, easgach 1

ecoman

« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2015 at 15:30 »
Easgach - what works best for you is the thing to stick-to.  I keep reminding myself that the object of the exercise is to tie flies and have pleasure in fishing anticipation.
After that brief trip into looking for answers, I think it's best that I content myself with what I have.  I'll only ever be as good as my own ability allows in any case.

I hope you have a good season.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 12/04/2015 at 17:50 »
Hello Marc - maximum five on the larger flies.
ok, thanks. something to consider would be a 2 turn (3 turn max) and if you're not confident it would hold, simply add another 2 or 3 turn whip on top of that. Petitjean mentions this 3+3 in his video.
personally, i can't imagine the need for more than a simple 3 turn as long as the windings are in touching turns and not overlapped.
to resume, my point was that less turns wouldn't compress the spring arm as much and should solve your little problem  :z16
cheers,
marc

ecoman

« Reply #14 on: 13/04/2015 at 11:31 »
Marc,
            I did post a reply yesterday - at least, I thought I did, but I possibly did something wrong and it never went away.  I'm just not a 'natural' with elecronic gizmos.  My grandchildren think that I'm a cousin of various dinosaurs.

Anyway, thanks for the three-turn whip-finish suggestion.  I'm sure that it will answer.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com